Another battle for the top of the box office this weekend. A live action and animated film are fighting it out for the number one spot.
The superhero comedy 'Kick-Ass' didn't quite do that this weekend at the box office. It is still in a fight for the number one spot. DreamWorks Animation's 'How to Train Your Dragon' took in $20 million. The Lionsgate movie 'Kick-Ass' debuted at $19.75 million.
Still though it is too close to call and with just $250,000 separating them, either movie could end up at No. 1. Studios release final weekend numbers tomorrow.
This is the second weekend in a row to have a photo finish at the box office. Last weekend the romantic comedy 'Date Night' and 'Clash of the Titans' were doing battle. The Titans won that battle.
Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com., says he's "never seen two weeks in a row like this where the top movies could easily flip-flop."
It is a battle of comedies for the number three spot this weekend. 'Date Night' brought in $17.3 million and Sony's comedy 'Death at a Funeral' debuted just behind at $17 million.
'Date Night,'' stars Steve Carell and Tina Fey . 'Death at a Funeral' features
Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan .
Here are the top ten as of Sunday afternoon:
1. ``How to Train Your Dragon,'' $20 million.
2. ``Kick-Ass,'' $19.75 million.
3. ``Date Night,'' $17.3 million.
4. ``Death at a Funeral,'' $17 million.
5. ``Clash of the Titans,'' $15.8 million.
6. ``The Last Song,'' $5.8 million.
7. ``Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?'', $4.2 million.
8. ``Hot Tub Time Machine,'' $3.55 million.
9. ``Alice in Wonderland,'' $3.54 million.
10. ``The Bounty Hunter,'' $3.2 million.