Parents of a 13-year-old girl who was raped by a registered sex offender working at a middle school have filed a $7 million lawsuit.
The parents are suing the San Bernardino school district and a Rancho Cucamonga construction company for allegedly failing to investigate or monitor 34-year-old Darold Hecht. The twice-convicted sex offender was allowed to supervise a construction project at Cesar Chavez Middle School in 2006.
Prosecutors say Hecht seduced a student and sexually assaulted her. He was sentenced to 24 years in prison last year.
An attorney for Ledesma & Meyer Construction Co. says the lawsuit is a surprise and the company prides itself on having an outstanding reputation.
School district spokeswoman Linda Bardere said Monday the district hasn't seen the lawsuit.
Information from: The Sun, www.sbsun.com
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press