El Monte police seize 2 tons of illegal fireworks in downtown LA

An investigation was under way today after El Monte police seized two tons of illegal fireworks in an undisclosed location in downtown Los Angeles.

The seizure took place about 8 p.m. Monday, and the seized fireworks were worth an estimated $125,000, El Monte police Detective Ralph Batres said.

No arrests had been reported in connection with the seizure as of early today, El Monte police Corporal Dean Menart said.

"We have a special investigations team, and we don't focus exclusively on fireworks," Batres said. "But we don't turn people away if they have information."

Batres declined to disclose where the seizure took place, claiming it would compromise a continuing investigation. He only said it was in downtown Los Angeles.

The seized fireworks were taken to the El Monte Police Department, where they were to be transferred to the El Monte Fire Department, Batres said.

blog comments powered by Disqus