Hundreds of Los Angeles city employees will begin the first day of the new fiscal year without a job after a last-minute effort to postpone the job cuts failed.
After a nearly two-hour closed-door meeting Wednesday, the City Council did not rescind layoff notices to 193 workers who had already received them, or delay sending notices to another 232 workers. The layoffs are scheduled to take effect Thursday.
The council says it needs to find $110 million in savings to avoid the job cuts. Council members will decide in October if they need to add 1,000 more workers to the layoff list.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and other city officials have said they cannot avert the layoffs without major concessions from city unions.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.