10 Torrance high school students burned in classroom accident

TORRANCE — Ten students at North High School in Torrance were burned today in an accident that was apparently caused by a portable stove.

The accident was reported at 12:46 p.m. inside a classroom on the campus at 3620 W. 182nd St., said Capt. Steve Deuel of the Torrance Fire Department.

Arriving firefighters and paramedics found several injured students who had run outside the high school, and discovered several more in a classroom, Deuel said.

Ten students were treated and taken to hospitals with minor and to moderate injuries, he said.

The accident was apparently caused by a portable, gas-powered stove in the classroom that malfunctioned, he said.

Officials contacted the families of all students involved.

Investigators remained at the scene, but the rest of the school resumed normal operations.

blog comments powered by Disqus