Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images
After a 15-year-old girl died at a rave like event, the safety of similar events has been called into question
University of Southern California students are being urged to stay away from rave dance parties.
USC president C.L. Max Nikias says students shouldn't attend raves, which are increasingly prevalent in Los Angeles, because of the dangers of the illegal drug Ecstasy, which is commonly used at raves.
The Los Angeles Times says Nikias warned about raves in an e-mail sent to students on Wednesday.
The Together as One rave on New Year's Eve at the Los Angeles Sports Arena near USC attracted 45,000 people. Seventeen people fell ill and were taken to hospitals and there were 12 felony arrests and 22 misdemeanor arrests.
At last summer's Electric Daisy Carnival rave at the Coliseum, 15-year-old Sasha Rodriguez overdosed on Ecstasy and died.
Information from: Los Angeles Times
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.