Councilman Tom LaBonge at a press conference where LAPD announced arrests of multiple suspects in shooting death of 22-year-old Lorenzo Smith.
Los Angeles police arrested four people and were seeking a fifth suspect in connection with a gang-related shooting at a Hollywood party that killed a man and wounded another.
Police announced Wednesday that three men and a woman, all from Compton, have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in the April 17 death of Lorenzo Smith. One other man is being sought.
A police statement says gang members argued with Smith and several drew guns and fired, killing the 22-year-old. Another man was seriously wounded in the 3 a.m. attack.
The arrests were made after authorities served nearly a dozen search warrants last week in Compton and Long Beach.
At a press conference announcing the arrests at the Hollywood Division station, Lorenzo Smith’s mother, Octavia Smith, said she was grateful to the cops who made the arrests.
“I’ll never forget him kissing me on my cheek that night,” said Octavia Smith, of the last time she saw her son alive. “Words cannot describe how I feel today."
Police identified the triggerman was Glen Austin Wagner, 26. The other suspects were identified as Miguel Estrada, 21; Brittnay Maria Jackson, 23; and Paul “Smiley” Benoit, 19.
Police are searching for a fifth suspect, Kevin “Killa” White.
Estrada was charged with being an accessory after the fact. He was being held at the Los Angeles County Jail on $60,000 bail.
Wagner and Benoit were being held at the Los Angeles County Jail. Wagner’s bail was set at $2 million. Benoit’s bail was set at $1 million. Jackson was released on bond, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Inmate Information Center website. She was charged with being an accessory to murder and personal use of a gun.