An Occupy L.A. activist who filed for a court order to prevent the city's law enforcement from dismantling the 475-tent camp around City Hall without notifying campers didn't show up for the scheduled court hearing. Occupy L.A. spokeswoman Pam Noles says the court filing was unauthorized and organizers are mystified as to who filed it.
Organizers are trying to track down the person responsible. No action was taken at the hearing.
City attorney's spokesman John Franklin said Friday lawyers for the city were ready to argue against the application for a temporary restraining order before a Superior Court judge, but the activist did not appear.
The filing came after Occupy protesters marched on downtown Los Angeles Thursday, which snarled traffic and led to a total of 72 arrests.
Chief Deputy City Attorney William Carter tells the Los Angeles Times the protesters say they have the right to notice because a City Council resolution supports the demonstration as long as it remains "peaceful."
Police have said that they do not plan a surprise raid on the camp like those conducted by police in other cities. Still, some protesters in Los Angeles say the dismantling of Occupy camps in New York City and Portland, Ore. in recent days has made them wary of the police's promise, the Times reports.
Occupy L.A. protesters issued a statement earlier this week on their website saying they "have no plans to leave — we have just begun our mission."
"If L.A. Occupiers eventually exit City Hall, it would be due to Occupy L.A.'s conclusion that our work could be done more efficiently at another location," according to the group.
Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck says police are trying to negotiate a timeline to end the protest. The police have told organizers that no attempt to dismantle the camp would be taken without ample notice to the campers.
The Associated Press contributed to this story. This story has been updated.