Members of Congress are rushing to airports to fly home for the holidays. Before they left, a number of lawmakers wanted to talk about something other than the payroll tax cut: food.
Maybe it was having to fly back to Washington for a final series of votes, but lawmakers like Democratic Congresswoman Judy Chu of El Monte have been thinking of home... and their holiday dinner. Chu says her Christmas dinner table has turkey "side by side with Chinese dumplings, stuffing side by side with noodles."
So what’s the one recipe she absolutely has to have on hand to make it feel like Christmas? Chinese dumplings. But is she making them this year? "I don’t have time. On the other hand, I live in an area where you can buy them very easily."
If you have time, you can make them.
Congresswoman Judy Chu’s Recipe for Chinese Dumplings
"One thing I enjoy entertaining guests during the holiday seasons is Chinese dumplings," sayd Chu. "Shaped like the gold currency used by the ancient Chinese, dumplings also represent wealth and good fortune."
The following recipe is Shrimp Pork Dumpling for 4 people:
Ground Pork 1 ½ lbs
Diced Mushroom ½ cup
Diced Shrimp 1 cup
Diced Green onion ½ cup
1 Package of wonton wrappers
½ tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 cup of water
1. Dice the mushrooms, shrimps, and green onions.
2. Place all ingredients from Step 1 with the pork, egg, salt, soy sauce, and olive oil together. Mix well.
3. Refrigerate mixed pork for 30 minute. The stuffing will be easier to fold into the wonton wrappers later.
4. Take 1 piece of the wrapper, place a spoonful of stuffing right in the center.
5. Use your finger and dampen all around the sides of the wrapper. Water will make the flour stick together better.
6. Pick up the left and right side of the wrapper and fold them together toward the center. Pinch the two sides together.
7. Using the pinching motion, seal the rest of the dumpling wrapper. Make sure all sides are sealed to avoid stuffing leaking out during cooking.
8. Place finished dumplings into boiling water until done. Approximately 8 minutes.
9. Serve dumplings with soy sauce.