Aside from the frustration, the damage that precipitated the shutdown of the 60 freeway last week might end up costing the state of California nothing.
The L.A. Times reports that U.S. Rep. Linda Sanchez, a Democrat who represents Lakewood, said if the work takes less than 180 days, the cost will be reimbursed with federal emergency highway funds.
The damaged Paramount Boulevardoverpass is still being demolished , so it's not clear how long the work will take.
On Tuesday, Gov. Jerry Brown declared the highway situation a state of emergency, which began the process of getting federal funds.
In addition, the Times reports that "Sanchez and Caltrans also plan to pursue whether the tanker trucking company could be held liable for the explosion. Insurance proceeds would potentially be tapped to help cover the costs, which is expected to soar into the millions."
The area has been closed overnight from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. as workers try to demolish the rest of the bridge. Caltrans is investigating the cause of the explosion, which some reports have said might have started in the truck's brakes.