"Our long, four-day nightmare is over," L.A. County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky told reporters Monday evening.
There were no new arson fires in and around L.A. overnight, or after a reserve sheriff’s deputy detained Harry Burkhart, 24, of Hollywood, on Monday morning. The German national was identified by a federal official who recognized him on a security video the police released. The L.A. Times reported Burkhart had been battling the U.S. government over the immigration status of his mother.
In all, 53 fires were set. In many instances, fires started in carports raced to adjoining apartment buildings. The property damage resulting from the fires has been estimated at $3 million. One firefighter and a civilian suffered relatively minor injuries. The fires began Thursday night, and ended with a streak of 11 fires Monday morning before Burkhart was arrested.
Burkhart said “I hate America,” as he was being arrested, ABC News reported.
Police said they were confident about the arrest, but Chief Charlie Beck added a reminder than an “arrest is not a prosecution.”
UPDATE 10 a.m. Burkhart is due for his first court appearance Wednesday.