The homepage for the City of Sacramento, as well as websites for the parks and recreation department and convention center, has been taken offline in the wake of what officials worry could be a possible cyber attack.
According to the Sacramento Bee, readers wrote in Sunday morning that a city parking website had been replaced with the message: "HaCKed by El_MhUaMMcD. This Turkish Hacker."
Maurice Chaney, a spokesman with the city, told the Bee that the only sites affected so far were www.cityofsacramento.org, plus the sites for the convention center and parks and rec department. The city's other websites were on separate servers and appear to be intact.
Six employees have been sent to troubleshoot, officials told the Bee, and the Sacramento City Police Department has been notified.
No financial data has been compromised, according to city officials.
"The important thing," Chaney told the Bee. "is that once we learned about it, we shut everything down and we're going through the steps of what went wrong and making sure it doesn't happen again."