Courtney Anthony Robinson, 37, a man charged with attempted murder in the stabbings of three homeless people who were left with notes labeled "death warrants," has pleaded not guilty.
Robinson is being held on $3 million bail, raised from earlier bail of $500,000. He entered his plea in Superior Court on Wednesday; his next hearing is scheduled for Aug. 6.
Robinson turned himself in after police appealed to the public for help in locating him. He is suspected of stabbing three middle-aged homeless people in the back earlier this month as they were sleeping — all three survived.
The first stabbing happened July 3 on downtown L.A.'s Skid Row. The second was July 17 in Santa Monica, while the last was July 19 in Hollywood. All three victims survived the attacks.
The death warrants were typed, signed with the alias "David Ben Keyes." Police have said the victims were attacked for specific reasons, but have not disclosed what those reasons were. Police described the writing as "ramblings." Police also said that he has no relation to the victims.
Santa Barbara police are investigating whether Robinson is linked to two recent knife attacks of homeless men in Santa Barbara.
Police say Robinson, 37, is a drifter from Florida.