Anaheim Mayor Tom Tait Friday said the FBI and the United States Attorney’s Office have agreed to conduct an independent review of the facts of the incidents occurring in Anaheim on July 21, 2012. The city is also hiring an independent investigator.
Anaheim police shot Manuel Diaz on July 21. He later died.
The Diaz family has filed a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against Anaheim, its police department and two officers involved in the shooting.
Tait said Anaheim will provide the United States Attorney’s Office information relating to all six officer-involved shootings that have happened in the city this year.
Five of the six victims died, including Diaz and Joel Acevedo last weekend.
“I wish to thank the United States Attorney’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation," said Tait in a news release. "I ask that our community be patient to allow their process to run its course as we seek to learn what happened on that day as well as previous incidents this year."
Tait said the city will continue to work with community groups and neighborhood organizations to "repair and strengthen relationships within our City."
Tait said Anaheim has also asked the Office of Independent Review, a Los Angeles-based firm, to conduct a review and evaluation of all policies, procedures and practices involving the uses of force by the Anaheim Police Department in the last year.
The Office of Independent Review is a civilian oversight group created by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in 2001.
Fullerton hired the office’s lead attorney – Michael Gennaco – to examine police practices in that city.