AP/Seal Beach Police Department
This police photo shows Scott Dekraai from Huntington Beach. He has entered a not guilty plea.
The man accused of shooting and killing eight people in a Seal Beach salon last year has a court date Friday in Santa Ana. While a trial date was previously set, it's likely to be delayed.
Scott DeKraai is charged with eight counts of murder for allegedly killing seven people inside Salon Meritage, and an eighth man he encountered in a nearby parking lot.
It is the deadliest shooting in the history of Orange County.
His trial was originally set for October 15, but legal motions could change that date despite statements from Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas that he'd like to get the case to trial within a year.
Seal Beach police say Dekraai walked into Salon Meritage in October 2011 looking for his ex-wife, stylist Michelle Fournier.
Police said the two had argued earlier over child custody of their son.
In partial transcripts released in 2012, witnesses said Dekraai shot and killed his ex-wife, then shot her friend Christy Wilson and salon owner Randy Fannin.
After that Dekraai started shooting at random, killing four other people inside the salon and wounding one woman. He then walked into the parking lot outside the salon and shot a man who was sitting in his car, killing him.
Dekraai, of Huntington Beach, is being held without bail. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
Meanwhile, Salon Meritage is undergoing a makeover and has expressed the desire to re-open. Sandy Fannin (wife of former owner Randy) plans to return to work, with her longtime friend Irma Acosta as the new owner.