A proposed Wal-Mart store in Burbank could be on hold following a court-ordered injunction that forces the city to suspend its approval of building permits issued to the retailer pending a trial.
The Los Angeles Times reports the injunction issued Thursday in LA County Superior Court could also force Burbank to prove that Wal-Mart wouldn't cause significant harm to local roadways and businesses.
The newspaper says Judge Robert O'Brien's ruling effectively stops all work on the project until the claims raised in a lawsuit filed by three Burbank residents earlier this year are settled.
Rachel Wall, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, called the ruling "shortsighted." City spokesman Drew Sugars told the Times the city was "extremely disappointed" with the injunction.
Wal-Mart had been planning to complete a store near the Empire Center in 2013.