Too much hype for Carmageddon 2 or not enough?

Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, the man who gave carmageddon it's name, walks the empty 405 on July 16, 2011, as crews worked to demolish a section of the Mulholland Bridge.

Carmageddon 2 is just days away, when once again the 405 will be shut down in West Los Angeles for 53 hours.

Officials from Caltrans, the Highway Patrol and Los Angeles Metro are suggesting strategies for motorists who try to get around next weekend.

The first Carmageddon was a cultural phenomenon: a major stretch of the 405 freeway was shut down for days in a car-reliant region.

But now that Angelenos have been through it once, the concept isn’t new.

Los Angeles County Supervisor and Metro Board member Zev Yaroslavsky says there may not be as much hype this year, but the stakes are just as high.

"If people cooperate, it should be a non-event," he said. "But if people think they can use the freeways leading into the 405 — the 101 and the 10, and come into the 405 corridor area, then we’re going to have a problem. "

Last year, the crew finished its work earlier than expected and the 405 reopened on Sunday afternoon. Yaroslavsky said this time, there are more pillars to demolish on the north side of the Mulholland Bridge.

"Thirty percent more work with the same 53 hours available, it’s not likely that it’s gonna be done anytime sooner than dawn Monday morning," Yaroslavsky said.

Caltrans crews plan to begin closing ramps to the 405 Friday night.

More in Local

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus