Not going to the second weekend of the same exact festival and line-up that was live-streamed online? Start your weekend right with free jazz on the lawn and choose among many other free events this weekend in Los Angeles. For foodies, there's an outdoor taco party. For music fans, there's Record Store Day and the Echo Park Art Walk for art enthusiasts.
We've compiled a list of events – some are kid-friendly and even dog-friendly – around Los Angeles and Orange counties and all the way up north to Victorville during this weekend, April 19-21. Have another event in mind? Share it in the comments below.
Most events are free, but some are selling tickets while others require an RSVP or may be sold out. Check with event organizers for more details, including locations and times. For those driving on Sunday, remember to watch out for CicLAvia road closures along Venice Boulevard, MacArthur Park and downtown LA areas.
And if you are still going to that festival somewhere way east of Los Angeles, here's some of what your friends who stay behind may be doing:
April 19 - 21:
For the whole family:
- Saturday: Guided Night Hike to kick off National Park Week @ Rancho Sierra Vista/Satwiwa (free) — Get out under the stars in the Santa Monica National Recreation Area with a foot trek under the stars.
- Saturday: CICLE Earth Day Ride and Pasadena Earth & Arts Festival (free) — Bring your bike for a public arts bicycle tour and enjoy a sustainable local beer and wine garden afterwards in Pasadena. Sandra Tsing Loh, whom you can hear on The Loh Life, will be the mistress of ceremonies.
- Sunday: CicLAvia (free) — Get to Venice Beach or downtown LA without getting stuck in freeway traffic. Ride your bike, walk the stroller or unicycle down Venice Boulevard and enjoy the car-free streets.
- Saturday/Sunday: Both days: La Habra Spring Citrus Fair ($) — Enjoy a summer fair in the spring with ferris wheel rides and more.
- Saturday/Sunday: LA Times Festival of Books @ USC (free) — There's something for everyone at the annual literary festival, from panel discussions and cooking demonstrations to children's reading time.
- Saturday/Sunday: Cherry Blossom Festival @ Monterey Park (free) — Sumo wrestlers, martial arts, Japanese tea ceremonies and more at Monterey Park's annual Cherry Blossom Festival.
For Earth Day:
- Saturday: Save the Grotto Day @ Dominguez Rancho Adobe Museum (free) — The Dominguez Rancho Adobe Museum near Compton sits on the site of the first Spanish land grant in California and preserves the homestead adobe and gardens of the state's earliest days. Help out by cleaning their walkways and the once-flowing waterfalls while enjoying the history of the area. You can also visit for a free tour on any Saturday and Sunday.
- Saturday/Sunday: Earth Day Latino @ LA Historic Park (free) — Geocache, fly a kite, camp out and enjoy an indigenous land ceremony all in the middle of Los Angeles State Historic Park.
- Saturday: L.A. Taco and Grand Park present: ¡TACO MADNESS! — (free, tacos start at $1) An outdoor dance party at Grand Park with local DJs from Mochilla, a bar by La Cita, live mural painting and of course tacos. Boyle Heights favorite Guisados and fish taco heavyweight Mariscos Jalisco truck are a few of the taquerias competing to serve hungry Angelenos at downtown's newest park.
- Saturday: Grilled Cheese Invitational — Witness, judge or compete in four categories of the grilling contest at the 11th Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational in downtown Los Angeles. Enjoy samples, beer and wine and a food festival at Los Angeles Center Studios.
- Sunday: Pasadena Restaurant Week ($$) — Pasadena's restaurant week starts on Sunday.
- Saturday/Sunday: California Wine Festival @ Dana Point ($$$) — If tacos aren't for you, there will be wine, cheese, bread and artisan olive oil at the California Wine Festival in Orange County.
For music fans:
- Friday: Jazz at LACMA (free) — Enjoy live outdoor jazz at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art's free Friday night jazz at 6 p.m. This Friday, Arturo Sandoval opens LACMA's 2013 season of free jazz.
- Friday: The Antlers, Chairlift @ Walt Disney Concert Hall ($$) — The LA Phil's Brooklyn Festival features a show with The Antlers and Chairlift. Why celebrate a NYC borough in L.A.? The philharmonic will bring Brooklyn-based experimental composers alongside the classical symphony groups and singer-songwriters like Sufjan Stevens to explore the sounds of Brooklyn.
- Saturday: Record Store Day at Original Vinyl (free) — Original Vinyl will celebrate Record Store Day with DJ sets from local radio DJs, Justin Gage of AquariumDrunkard.com and performances by Nick Waterhouse and Silversun Pickups. Check the Record Store Day website for more local record store events.
- Saturday: Brokechella ($$) — Six01 Studios in downtown hosts a Coachella-alternative with three stages of electronic, hip hop and indie bands.
- Saturday/Sunday: High Desert Music Festival & BBQ Showdown ($$) — Head up to Victorville for a weekend of country music, rock en Español and BBQ.
For culture vultures:
- Saturday: I CHARLESTON L.A. (free) — Learn a Lindy Hop routine and join Charleston dancers from around the world as they celebrate by dancing in front of iconic city locations.
- Saturday: Echo Park Art Walk (free) — Echo Park celebrates with sidewalk chalk art, chain link fence galleries, dancing, food trucks and more.
- Sunday: The Big Quiz Thing ($) — Find your most trivia-savvy friends for a team quiz at Busby's East.