Brett Deering/Getty Images
Nathan Ulepich searches outside the back of his house destroyed after a powerful tornado ripped through the area on May 20, 2013 in Moore, Okla.
You can help the first responders on the ground in Moore, Okla., who are helping residents recover after one of the most powerful and destructive tornados in the nation's history. Please note that the list below is not an endorsement from KPCC:
- Red Cross: Text RED CROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross, or donate online. It will help Oklahoma Red Cross to buy supplies for shelters.
- Salvation Army: Text STORM to 80888 to donate $10 to the Salvation Army Arkansas-Oklahoma Division, or online.
- Regional Food Bank: Text FOOD to 32333 to give $10 to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma, or donate online here.
- Feed the Children: Text DISASTER to 80888 to donate $10 to Feed the Children, or donate online to provide meals for first responders and relief supplies.
- OKStrong: Donate to the OKStrong Disaster Relief Fund for long-term health and educational needs of affected Oklahomans online or through the United Way of Central Oklahoma.
Finally, be wary of unsolicited emails, social media links or other solicitations for donations to victims: They may be identity theft scams or worse. Donate only to organizations you know personally or that you trust. If you're in doubt, check on an organization through the Better Business Bureau or the California Department of Justice's guide to giving to charities.
Source: State of Oklahoma
Are there charities we've missed? Let us know in the comments or on our Facebook page.