An overnight closure of a portion of the I-5 and the rollout of new summer bus route schedules are likely to affect traffic this weekend. Check our listing for details on ramp closures, construction updates and rider alerts for more.
I-5 closed overnight
Weekend travelers, beware. Caltrans will close the I-5 near Norwalk on Friday and Saturday from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
All north and southbound I-5 lanes and ramps between the SR-91 and I-605 will be closed to demolish the Alondra Boulevard Bridge as part the I-5 Corridor Improvement Project. Detours will be posted, but you can see specific ramp and lane closures below.
Summer routes to take effect
As the summer approaches, keep in mind that many bus route schedules will be changing.
Orange County Transportation Authority bus routes and schedules have already changed to increase service to and around the beaches and to the Orange County Fair.
OCTA assesses bus schedule three times a year and makes changes accordingly to alleviate crowded buses and improve overall services. Route 38, for example, will now provide service to Savi Ranch.
OCTA has also started the new Bravo Route 543, which hopes to hasten bus commute times between Costa Mesa and Fullerton. The route will only stop at "major transportation points" along Harbor Blvd. [Route map]. The bus is scheduled to run on weekdays. The fare will remain the same.
If you're in Los Angeles and take Metro's 40, 30/330, 290, 603 or Orange Line buses, you'll want to know about the schedule changes that begin June 23.
- Expo Line: National Blvd.: All lanes on Expo ROW facing National Blvd. between Palms Blvd. and Clarington Ave. will be closed 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Read More
- Expo Line: Venice Blvd.: From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays and 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Sundays, expect reduced lanes along Venice Blvd. and Robertson Blvd. Read More
- LAX Sepulveda tunnel: Lanes will be reduced in the Sepulveda tunnel to LAX from 10 p.m. for five hours on weekdays and eight on weekends. Construction expected to end June 2013. Read More
- 5: Norwalk/La Mirada: Full freeway closure from Valley View Avenue to Carmenita Road on northbound I-5 for Alondra Boulevard bridge demolition. Closure expected to begin at midnight and end at 7 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Read More
- 5 between 91 and 605 connectors: Full freeway closure on northbound and southbound I-5 between SR-91 and I-605 connectors for Alondra Boulevard bridge demolition. Read More
- 91 to 5 connector: Full freeway connector closure from westbound SR-91 to northbound I-5 for Alondra Boulevard bridge demolition. Closure expected to begin at 11 p.m. and end at 7 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Read More
- 5: Norwalk/La Mirada: Up to two lanes closed between Valley View Avenue and Carmenita Road on southbound I-5 for Alondra Boulevard bridge demolition. Closure expected to begin at 2 a.m. and end at 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Read More
- 5: Cerritos/Artesia: Full on-ramp closure from Artesia Blvd. to Valley View Avenue. Ramps expected to close at 11 p.m. and re-open at 8 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Read More
- 405: Intermittent full-ramp closures continue at the southbound Skirball on-ramp. Read More
- 5: On-ramps closed to eastbound Van Nuys Blvd. to southbound 5. Off-ramps to northbound I-5 closed at westbound Terra Bella St., Van Nuys Blvd. and Branford St. Read More
- 5: On-ramp closed at EB/WB Tuxford Street on southbound I-5 for shoulder reconstruction until the end of the year. Read More
- 710: On-ramp closed at 710 SB at Olympic Blvd. for long-term bridge construction until 2014. Read More
- 47: On-ramp closed at Route 47 at EB/WB New Dock St. closed for long-term bridge demolition until 2014. Read More
- 57: NB Off-Ramp @ Lambert Road : Friday: Detour by exiting northbound SR-57 to Tonner Canyon Road, turn right onto northbound Tonner Canyon Road, left onto southbound Brea Boulevard, left onto eastbound Lambert Road Read More
- 57: NB Off-Ramp @ Imperial : Friday: Detour by exiting northbound SR-57 at Lambert Road, left onto westbound Lambert Road, left onto southbound State College Boulevard, right onto eastbound Imperial Highway Read More
- 57: NB On-Ramp @ WB Imperial: Friday: Detour by turning right onto northbound State College Boulevard, right onto eastbound Lambert Road, left onto northbound SR-57 on-ramp from Lambert Road Read More
- 57: NB On-Ramp @ Yorba Linda: Friday: Detour by turning right onto northbound State College Boulevard, right onto eastbound Imperial Highway, use northbound SR-57 on-ramp from eastbound Imperial Highway Read More
- 57: NB On-Ramp @ EB Lincoln Ave: Friday: Detour by turning left onto northbound State College Boulevard, right onto eastbound Orangethorpe Avenue, left onto northbound SR-57 on-ramp from Orangethorpe Avenue Read More
- 57: NB On-Ramp @ EB Ball Road: Friday: Detour by turning right onto southbound Sunkist Street, left onto eastbound Howell Avenue, left onto eastbound Katella Avenue, right onto northbound SR-57 Katella Avenue on-ramp Read More
- Rio Hondo Bike Path: The Rio Hondo Bike Path will be closed at Washington Blvd. for construction until August. Take a detour to the west side of the trail instead. Read More
- San Gabriel River Bike Path: Parts of the San Gabriel River Bike Path will be closed at the 210 freeway underpass for construction until July. Read More
- Blue Line, Red Line to North Hollywood: Both the Blue Line and the Red Line to North Hollywood will be reduced to every 20 minutes after 8:30 p.m. on Friday, June 7. Read More
- Coyote Creek Bike Path: Coyote Creek Bike Paths will be closed from Alondra Blvd. to Artesia Blvd. until May 2015. Read More
- Orange County Transportation Authority bus routes: The OCTA bus system has received minor schedule adjustments to a number of routes for the summer and introduced Bravo Route 543, which "will provide faster bus service along Harbor Blvd." between Costa Mesa and Fullerton. Read More