The homeless man charged with murdering a woman at a popular Hollywood tourist attraction was released to county supervision as part of a state program to reduce its inmate population, a county official said Tuesday.
County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky asked Tuesday for a chronology of events between the release of Dustin Kinnear from state prison April 6 and the killing of Christine Calderon last week.
Calderon, 23, was killed on Hollywood Boulevard after police say she refused to give Kinnear and two other panhandlers $1 for taking their photographs on the star-lined "Walk of Fame."
Yaroslavsky said Kinnear, 26, was released from prison as part of AB 109, which allowed certain non-violent, non-sexual and non-serious offenders to serve their terms under county supervision in county jail instead of state prison.
"We have now determined that the alleged perpetrator, Dustin James Kinnear, was recently released from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation under the State's AB 109 Program and on that basis remained under the supervision of County Departments," the motion states.
Yaroslavsky said the county departments of probation, mental health, public health and the Sherriff's Department need to determine whether laws and procedures are "adequate to protect against any of the possible gaps in the AB 109 process," states the motion, which was unanimously approved by the board.
Within 30 days officials must also provide details on Kinnear's criminal and mental background, whether protocols for release were followed, and whether current laws and procedures are adequate to protect against possible gaps.
This story has been updated.