2 men shot to death by deputies Thursday identified

police tape

Photo by Harvey K via Flickr Creative Commons

Authorities Friday released the names of two men shot to death by deputies Thursday: an 80-year-old man shot and killed by deputies after he allegedly pointed a handgun at them during a drug raid in the Littlerock area near Palmdale, as well as a man who was shot to death by sheriff's deputies in Compton while he was allegedly armed with a handgun.

The first man was Eugene Mallory of Littlerock, said Los Angeles County coroner's Investigator Jerry McKibben; the other was 22-year- old Deangelo Lopez of Compton, according to McKibben.

The Mallory shooting occurred about 7:30 a.m. Thursday, according to the sheriff's department. No deputies were injured.

A sheriff's narcotics team was serving a narcotics-related search warrant at the location, Deputy Peter Gomez of the Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau said.

Deputies made entry into one of the residences on the property and approached a rear bedroom where they found Mallory armed with a semi-automatic handgun, Gomez said.

"The suspect pointed the handgun at the deputies and a deputy-involved shooting occurred," Gomez said.

Mallory was hit by gunfire and was pronounced dead at the scene, Gomez said.

The suspect's weapon, marijuana and marijuana-growing equipment were recovered at the scene, Gomez said.

There were no other occupants in the residence at the time of the shooting, but several residents at the multi-unit property were detained for questioning in relation to the deputy-involved shooting, Gomez said. All residents were later released.

It was the second fatal deputy-involved shooting in the county Thursday morning. Shortly before 6 a.m., a man allegedly armed with a handgun was killed in a deputy-involved shooting in Compton. No deputies were injured.

The man, later identified as 22-year-old Deangelo Lopez of Compton, died at the scene. No deputies were injured.

According to the sheriff's department, deputies went to the neighborhood on a report of a burglary when they saw a man matching the description of the suspect climbing over a fence.

"The suspect came over the fence armed with a handgun," sheriff's Lt. Mike Rosson told CBS2. "At that point in time, a deputy-involved shooting occurred."

Correction: An earlier version of this story said that the men were shot to death by police instead of deputies.

With contributions by KPCC staff

More in Crime


blog comments powered by Disqus