- Acres burned: 9,000 acres
- Containment: 10 percent
- Firefighting resources:
- 2,241 firefighters
- 15 helicopters
- 10 fixed wing aircraft, including a DC-10
- 73 hand crews
- 10 dozers
- 98 engines
- 6 water-tenders
- Structures destroyed: 25-27
- 3 mobile homes, 3 homes in Bonita Vista area
- 1 commercial building, a garage, a workshop, and a cabin in Pine Springs area
- 4 to 6 vehicles
- 11 out-buildings throughout the area
- Structures damaged: 1
- 1 home damaged in Bonita Vista area
A fire that broke out in the vicinity of Highways 74 and 243 near Idyllwild had grown to 9,000 acres Tuesday evening and containment was 10 percent, according to the U.S. Forest Service. The Mountain Fire has forced the evacuations of nearby residents, campers and animals.
Twenty homes in the Bonita Vista Community were given evacuation orders, along with 24 homes south of Palm Canyon Drive. The Living Free Animal Sanctuary, The Fleming Ranch, the Zen Mountain Center and the Andreas Canyon Club were all ordered evacuated.
Camp Ronald McDonald was also being evacuated as of 6 p.m.
This map shows the fire's perimeter Tuesday:
Evacuation centers include:
- Hemet High School, 41701 E. Stetson Ave, Hemet
- Hamilton High School, 57430 Mitchell Road, Anza - Can accept small animals
- Small animals can be brought to the San Jacinto Animal Shelter, 581 S. Grand Ave, San Jacinto CA
The fire prompted the closure of Highway 243 between Saunders Meadow Road and the junction of Highway 74. Some structures have been reported damaged but, as of last night, had caused no injuries, said Mark Annas of the Riverside County Fire Department.
All trails connected to the Pacific Crest Trail are closed, including South Ridge Trail, Carumba Trail, Spitler Peak Trail, Fobes Trail and Cedar Springs. The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from Highway 74 north to Saddle Junction.
A group of campers from the Pine Springs Church Camp was evacuated from the Lake Hemet Campground to the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Hemet, Annas reported.
This story has been updated.