Los Angeles officials have asked developers of a massive Hollywood skyscraper project to conduct more studies to determine whether it's earthquake-safe.
The request from the Department of Building and Safety came last week after a USC quake expert, James Dolan, voiced concerns over a fault line that appears to run under the proposed site of the new buildings.
The Millennium project would build two towers of 39 and 35 stories near the Capitol Records building, creating more than 1 million square feet of apartment, office, hotel and retail space. The City Council holds a major vote Wednesday on the project, which has already been approved by the Planning Commission.
Dozens of neighborhood groups oppose the plan, claiming the fault may be active and could threaten the safety of the towers.
An active fault is one that suffered a quake in the last 11 thousand years. A previous study from the Southern California Earthquake Center labeled the Hollywood fault as active.
However, the California Geological Survey claims that parts of the fault may be active while other parts may not be. CGS plans to conduct a second survey looking at the proposed construction site this year.
In the meantime, opponents of the project are asking the city council to postpone Wednesday's vote.
"Clearly the facts are not all in," said John Schwada, spokesman for several Hollywood community groups.
The head of Millennium Partners, Philip Aarons, said Monday that his company conducted a survey of the area and found no evidence of an active fault. The developer is convinced that the project is safe and plans to move forward with the project.