The FBI released the identity of the suspected gunman who was killed in a shootout with police after going on a deadly rampage at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington on Monday. The total number killed in that incident was confirmed by authorities to be at least 13, including the suspected shooter, who was named as Aaron Alexis. It was still unclear whether there were any other shooters involved. About 3,000 people are said to work at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building. The system command builds, buys and maintains the Navy's ships and submarines and their combat systems.
- Update 4:40 p.m.: Records show alleged gunman was previously arrested
- Update 2:40 p.m.: DC Navy Yard shooter had been full-time Navy reservist
- Updated 1:39 p.m.: FBI confirm identity of suspected shooter; death toll rises to 13
- Updated 12:53 p.m.: Navy employees released from lockdown, witnesses describe the scene
- Updated 12:07 p.m.: 12 dead, at least 4 injured, nearby buildings on lockdown
- Updated 9:43 a.m.: At least 6 people killed; one gunman dead; police search for other possible shooters
- 6:20 a.m.: Police responding to reported shooter at Washington Navy Yard
Police in Seattle posted documents indicating that suspected gunman Aaron Alexis had been arrested in 2004 for "shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what Alexis later described to detectives as an anger-fueled 'blackout.'"
According to the Seattle Police Department Blotter:
"Following his arrest, Alexis told detectives he perceived he had been “mocked” by construction workers the morning of the incident and said they had 'disrespected him.' Alexis also claimed he had an anger-fueled 'blackout,' and could not remember firing his gun at the victims’ vehicle until an hour after the incident.
"Alexis also told police he was present during 'the tragic events of September 11, 2001' and described 'how those events had disturbed him.'
"Detectives later spoke with Alexis' father, who lived in New York at the time, who told police Alexis had anger management problems associated with PTSD, and that Alexis had been an active participant in rescue attempts on September 11th, 2001."
Police obtained permission to search Alexis' home after the incident and found a gun and ammunition in his room, according to the department's reports. He was booked into the King County Jail for malicious mischief.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram quoted Nutpisit Suthamtewakul, owner of the Happy Bowl Thai in White Settlement, Texas, who said he'd lived with Alexis for three years. Suthamtewakul described Alexis as "my best friend" and was shocked to learn he'd been killed.
"I don't think he'd do this. He has a gun, but I don't think he's that stupid. He didn't seem aggressive to me," he told the newspaper.
The Star-Telegram said a police report filed in September 2010 detailed his arrest for discharging a firearm within a municipality:
"Police were dispatched to the Oak Hills apartments about 6:40 p.m. Sept 4, 2010, on a report that someone had fired a shot through the floor and into the ceiling of a woman's apartment, according to a Fort Worth police report.
"The woman told police she had been sitting in a chair when she heard a loud pop and saw dust.
"'She then saw that there was a hole in her floor just a couple of feet from where she was sitting while shredding papers and a hole in the ceiling,' the report states. 'She told me that she believed someone had shot a bullet through her apartment.'
"The woman told police that Alexis, her downstairs neighbor, did not come up to check on her after the shooting.
"She said that Alexis had called police on her several times in the past for 'being loud' but that police never heard anything and therefore, no action was taken.
" 'She said that several days ago Aaron confronted her in the parking lot about making too much noise,' the report states.
"The woman told police that she was 'terrified' of Alexis and felt the shooting was done intentionally."
Update 2:40 p.m.: DC Navy Yard shooter had been full-time Navy reservist
The Navy said suspected gunman Aaron Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to early 2011, and left as a petty officer third class. It was not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis, who was also killed on Monday, received a general discharge amid unspecified "misconduct issues," a Navy official tells NPR.
He had been working for a fleet logistics support squadron in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy listed his home of record as New York City. Alexis was last attached to Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 46 in Fort Worth, Texas.
The Navy says Alexis had been awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
Investigators said they had not established a motive for the shooting rampage, which unfolded in the heart of the nation's capital, less than four miles from the White House.
President Barack Obama lamented yet another mass shooting in the U.S. that he said took the lives of American patriots. He promised to make sure "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."
— AP & NPR
Update 2:25 p.m.: Members of the U.S. House of Representatives respond
House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. "Buck" McKeon and Ranking Member Adam Smith made the following joint statement about the shootings at the Washington Navy Yard:
"We’re saddened by today’s heartbreaking attack at the Washington Navy Yard. Unfortunately, this is not the first time we've seen such a tragedy befall the patriotic personnel working at a U.S. Military installation. There is nothing more cowardly than targeting innocents, and we have full faith in military and law enforcement officials to bring the perpetrators to justice. We send our thoughts and prayers out to the victims and their families."
Meanwhile, Representative Adam Schiff of California's 28th district posted the following on Twitter:
Terrible tragedy today at the Washington #NavyYard with at least a dozen killed in another shooting. Just awful.— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) September 16, 2013
— KPCC staff
Updated 1:39 p.m.: FBI confirm identity of suspected shooter
The FBI has released the identity of the suspected gunman who was killed in a shootout with police after going on a deadly rampage at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington on Monday.
The suspect's name was listed as Aaron Alexis and photos were uploaded to the FBI's website.
Thirteen people including the shooter were killed in the incident at the U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building, and a dozen or more were wounded, according to Mayor Vincent Gray, who noted that some of the injuries sustained were not from gunshots.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said there was "no question this guy would keep shooting."
Gray said it was still unclear whether there was a second shooter, referring to earlier reports.
— Kitty Felde
D.C. resident Freedom Mushaw heard the shots go off Monday, yet she said she's not too surprised by the incident.
"This is seriously D.C., this is how it is," she told KPCC. "Unfortunately this is stuff we have to deal with everyday. That's why everyone is so calm because if we overreact, then we don't get anything solved."
Mushaw said she first knew something was wrong after witnessing police activity on the nearby streets.
"I'm just so impressed with these guys and so proud of these guys. They got here — and got stuff done so I'm just so grateful..." Mushaw said of the SWAT team.
Navy employees were being released from lockdown as of 12:30 p.m.
Navy employees begin the ling trek home pic.twitter.com/uMnMA4drAg— kitty felde (@kpcckitty) September 16, 2013
— Kitty Felde
Update 12:07 p.m.: 12 dead, at least 4 injured, nearby buildings on lockdown
At least 12 people were killed and four injured in a shooting rampage at the U.S. Navy Yard in Washington, officials said.
Police Chief Cathy Lanier and Mayor Vincent Gray both confirmed the number of people killed, and Gray added in an interview with KPCC's Kitty Felde that at least four had been injured, possibly more.
A white male in tan clothing described earlier as a possible shooter had been identified and was not considered a suspect, the D.C. police indicated via their official Twitter account.
The white male in the tan outfit has been identified and is not a suspect or person of interest.— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) September 16, 2013
The shooting occurred at the U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building in the southeast part of the city, situated less than a mile from Capitol Hill. The Navy told the Associated Press earlier that more than 3,000 people work there.
The nearby Department of Transportation headquarters was on lockdown. Tina Washington, a transportation operations specialist who works there, said she was out getting coffee this morning when the shooting happened and was unable to return.
"When I first came out, I didn't know what was going on. This area was blocked with fire department, ambulance, police cars," Washington told Felde.
Earlier, U.S. Park Police helicopters circled the Navy Yard buildings for more than an hour, though it appeared the search from the air had stopped by early afternoon.
The nearby Metro station was closed for a short time but has reopened.
Here locally, access to Edwards Air Force Base in the Antelope Valley has not been curtailed, chief of public affairs John Haire told KPCC's Sharon McNary.
"The shooting at the Naval Yard, if it has changed anything, it should be an imperceptible change," Haire said.
The base changes the intensity of identification checks several times over the course of a normal work day to avoid being predictable. On Monday, security officers were checking the bar codes on military identification cards, he said. It's a higher, but not unusual level of security to use at the gates to the Mojave Desert air base.
Camp Pendleton had not changed its security level after the Navy Yard shootings, said Corp. Michael Iams, a base spokesman.
— Kitty Felde and Sharon McNary
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters late Monday morning that 12 people had been killed in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard. Earlier reports from police and Navy officials gave varying numbers, from one person injured to several people dead and multiple wounded.
— KPCC staff
Police are on the lookout for two other potential "shooters" involved in a killing rampage that happened at the U.S. Navy Yard in the nation's capital Monday morning.
Washington Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters that one gunman was dead at the scene, NPR reports.
LIVE UPDATES: Follow KPCC's Kitty Felde (@kpcckitty)
Lanier described one of the potential shooters as a white male, possibly wearing a khaki Navy uniform, who was "last seen around 8:35 a.m" and may have been carrying a handgun.
The other potential shooter, she said, is a "black male approximately 50 years of age" who "may have been in possession of a long gun."
President Barack Obama took a moment to publicly respond to the incident during a press conference, saying that the federal government will do all it can to be sure that "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible." The victims, the president said, were "men and women who were going to work, doing their jobs, protecting all of us. ... They were patriots."
The number of casualties is still unclear, but authorities said some of the wounded had been airlifted to local hospitals.
Many streets and schools in the area in southeast Washington had been closed, and the U.S. Capitol building, about a mile away, was on lockdown, said KPCC's Kitty Felde, who was on scene.
— NPR's Mark Memmott and KPCC's Kitty Felde
Navy officials said at least four people were killed and several wounded in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard Monday, and it remained unclear how many shooters were involved, the Los Angeles Times reports:
Amid chaotic scenes at the base, reports varied about how many shooters were involved, with some reports saying that as many as three had been identified.
A Navy spokesperson, Lt. Courtney Hilson, said the number of victims was still preliminary as authorities were clearing the Naval Sea Systems headquarters at the Navy Yard room by room. Workers at the yard have been ordered to stay in their offices while the search continues.
— KPCC staff
Police and emergency crews gathered Monday morning outside the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building, where the shooting was reported.
The Navy says three shots were fired and that about 3,000 people work in the building. People inside the building have been directed to stay in place.
Naval Sea Systems Command is the largest of the Navy's five system commands and accounts for a quarter of the Navy's entire budget.
It builds, buys and maintains the Navy's ships and submarines and their combat systems.
Police from multiple local and federal agencies were responding along with SWAT crews.
— Associated Press