Two powerful tropical storms — Manuel and Ingrid — hit the Pacific and Atlantic coasts of Mexico Tuesday, and the country is still struggling to recover from the damage. Dozens have died, tourists have been left stranded and buildings have been destroyed.
This means widespread power and cell phone outages. Locating loved ones may take some time — but the American Red Cross encourages folks to keep calling, sending text messages and attempting to connect via email or social media.
Here's a list of resources to help:
HOW DO I CONNECT WITH LOVED ONES?
If you are not a U.S. citizen: Immediate family members (parents, siblings, children, spouses, fiancees, grandparents or legal guardians only) who are not U.S. citizens are urged to contact their local American Red Cross chapter.
If your loved one is a U.S. Citizen: Inquiries concerning U.S. citizens should be referred to the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services:
HOW CAN I DONATE MONEY TO RELIEF EFFORTS?
- The Red Cross responds to approximately 70,000 disasters in the United States every year; the organization also provides relief efforts abroad. Donate to the Red Cross here.
- Red Cross Mexico offers up donation information here.
- AmeriCares responds to natural disasters around the world like the Colorado flooding and storms in Mexico. Donate to AmeriCares here.
- World Vision responds to relief efforts around the world with a focus on helping children. Donate to World Vision here.
HOW CAN I DONATE MY TIME TO RELIEF EFFORTS?
- Host a fundraising event: The global organization Oxfam offers free materials to help you host an event in your community. Start organizing here.
HOW CAN I MONITOR THE WEATHER?
- The National Weather Service continues to monitor activity through its National Hurricane Center. It has released several advisories on Mexico's tropical storms. Manuel continues to cause a stir, pushing out winds at a maximum of 75 miles per hour.
- Google has created a platform to distribute relevant emergency alerts to users. Public Alerts are available on Search, Maps and Google Now. Learn more.
Do you know of a fundraiser or local organization aiding relief efforts in Mexico? Share with us in comments or email firstname.lastname@example.org.