via Supervisor Michael Antonovich
This map shows where serial rapist Christopher Hubbart is set to move to, following a public comment period.
Update 1:45 p.m. A Santa Clara County judge announced Friday that serial rapist Christopher Hubbart would be released from Coalinga State Hospital and sent to live in L.A. County. This decision comes after much protest from the L.A. district attorney
Hubbart, 62, will be headed to Lake, Los Angeles, an unincorporated area of L.A. County near Palmdale. He could be released as early as December.
Tony Bell, a spokesman for Supervisor Michael Antonovich, who oversees the area where Hubbart’s being released, says Hubbart’s new home is close to a church and a family-friendly park.
“Supervisor Antonovich has been outspoken in his strong opposition to releasing this self-admitted monster anywhere in Los Angeles County," said Bell.
Bell says that area residents and councils will make their voices heard during a 45-day community input window.
Hubbart has admitted to raping 40 women in California, 26 of which were in L.A. County. He has been in and out of state institutions for years and is being released under the state’s conditional release program.
— Hayley Fox
Update 12:19 p.m. A Santa Clara County judge Friday ruled that serial rapist Christopher Hubbart will be sent to an unincorporated area in Los Angeles County – near Palmdale – when he is released from a state hospital.
Hubbart has admitted to raping approximately 40 women in California between 1971 and 1982; 26 of these women were in L.A. County, according to L.A.'s district attorney.
Local prosecutors opposed Hubbart’s release to Los Angeles County.
District Attorney Jackie Lacey said Friday that her office will work diligently with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and other law enforcement partners to ensure Hubbart, 62, will be closely monitored, as required by law.
“Our priority is to safeguard our residents and make certain Hubbart is obeying all the conditions of his release,” Lacey said in a statement.
This story will be updated.
Previously: Serial rapist Christopher Hubbart to be released to Los Angeles County despite DA's opposition
After much protest from L.A.'s district attorney, a serial rapist is expected to arrive soon in Los Angeles County. On Friday morning, a Santa Clara County judge will announce the tentative location where Christopher Hubbart will be housed when released from a state hospital.
Hubbart has admitted to raping approximately 40 women in California between 1971 and 1982; 26 of these women were in L.A. County, according to the district attorney.
In July, L.A. Deputy District Attorney Irene Wakabayashi announced that the office would challenge the release of Hubbart, who was scheduled to be sent back to Los Angeles County this November under the state's conditional release program.
A California appeals court rejected the D.A.'s challenge; county officials argued Hubbart should stay in Santa Clara.
In 1996, Hubbart was the first person convicted under California's Sexually Violent Predator law, and has been in and out of state institutions for years.
Hubbart is currently being held at Coalinga State Hospital.
Editor's note: Due to incorrect information provided by the district attorney's office, the location where Hubbart will live upon his release has been corrected from an earlier version.