Updated: LAX shooting suspect Ciancia ordered held without bail

One Killed In Shooting At Los Angeles International Airport

Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Some LAX passengers were routed onto the tarmac during Friday's shooting incident, a procedure one security consultant says was perfectly safe.

Paul Anthony Ciancia

FBI

The FBI released this mugshot of Paul Anthony Ciancia, 23 — a resident of Los Angeles formerly from New Jersey — whom they identified as the suspect in the shooting at Los Angeles International Airport Friday morning, Nov. 1, 2013, that killed a Transportation Security Administration officer and injured several others.

Courtesy NBC4

TSA agent Gerardo Hernandez, killed Friday, Nov. 1, 2013 in a shooting at LAX.


Update 11:27 a.m.: Paul Ciancia, the alleged gunman in the shooting last month at the Los Angeles International Airport that killed one person and injured three others, was ordered held without bail in his first court appearance Wednesday in San Bernardino.

Magistrate Judge Bristow issued the ruling after determining that Ciancia "posed a flight risk and a danger to the community," U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Thom Mrozek said in an email.

A preliminary hearing was scheduled for December 18 (a hearing that will take place unless he is indicted prior to that day), and an arraignment was scheduled for Thursday, December 26 at 1:00. Both events are scheduled to take place in United States District Court in Los Angeles.

Ciancia was not asked to enter a plea at Wednesday’s hearing. According to the Associated Press, he said little during his appearance in court.

It was the first time he's been seen in public since the Nov. 1 attack at LAX's Terminal 3.

Ciancia had visible marks on his face and a bandage on his neck, according to NBC4's Patrick Healy, who was one of only two reporters allowed in the tiny courtroom.

Healy told KPCC's Hettie Lynne Hurtes that Ciancia's health was the "elephant in the room" and that it was unclear what the bandage on his neck was for.

KPCC staff

Previously: Paul Ciancia, alleged gunman in the shooting last month at the Los Angeles International Airport that killed one person and injured three others, will make his first court appearance Wednesday.

The court hearing will be held at a conference room in the West Valley Detention Center, a jail run by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, where Ciancia, 23, is being held. The U.S. Marshals Service contracts with the county to provide detention and hospital services to federal inmates.

The U.S. Attorney's office is asking for Ciancia to be held without bail. A federal judge is expected to ask if the defendant has been read his rights and whether he understands the charges he faces, but he will not enter a plea. An attorney from the federal public defender's office will represent him.

Ciancia is charged with the murder of a Transportation Security Administration officer, the attempted murder of two other TSA officers and committing a violent act at an airport causing serious injury to another person.

L.A. Airport police shot Ciancia at least once in the face. He was treated at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center for nearly three weeks before being released into federal custody.

More in Crime

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus