Welp. It's here. The long-talked about 80-hour 405 freeway closure happens this weekend.
Starting Friday at 11 p.m., the northbound 405 freeway will see lane reductions in the daytime and full closures at night between Getty Center Drive and Ventura Boulevard. Work is expected to conclude Tuesday at 6 a.m.
Here's what you need to know to avoid any delays on your Valentine's through President's Day weekend:
- Three lanes on the northbound 405 will be closed during daytime hours
- All five northbound lanes will be closed at night
- Ramps within the project area will begin to close as early as 7 p.m.
Full northbound night-time freeway closure times are as follows:
Friday night, February 14 – 1 a.m. to 6 a.m.
Saturday night, February 15 - 2 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Sunday night, February 16 – 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
Monday night, February 17 – 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
The 405 South will remain fully open during the day, but some southbound lanes may be closed during night-time only paving operations.
Caltrans warns commuters that it could get messy out there, citing images from Caltrans' QuickMap in 2003 when three lanes on the 405 North were closed between Montana Avenue and the Getty Center off-ramp.
(Caption: The traffic map shows Los Angeles's standstill freeways on Saturday, March 2 of 2013, when three lanes on the 405 North were closed for construction work on the 405 northbound carpool lane project.)
And if that doesn't scare you away from the freeway this weekend, maybe these will:
West County Connectors
- I-405, I-605, SR-22: These freeways and surrounding ramps and streets regularly see night closures throughout the week and sometimes into the weekend. Read More
- Ramp Closure at Pioneer Boulevard: The southbound 5 off-ramp at Pioneer Boulevard/Imperial Highway will be permanently closed through April 2014. Read More
- Ramp Closure at Imperial Highway: The northbound 5 off-ramp at Imperial Highway is permanently closed. Read More
- Connector, Lane and Ramp Closures: Southbound 5 to northbound 14 connector will be closed nightly starting Sunday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Friday. Lanes and ramps will also close. Read More
- Ramp and Lane Closures: The 57 freeway regularly sees a number of ramp and lane closures for the Orange County Transportation Authority's widening project. Read More
- Freeway Closure: The 405 freeway experiences nightly closures at various locations in Los Angeles. Read More
- Connector and Ramp Closures: Caltrans will close one lane of the northbound U.S. 101 to southbound 110 and southbound U.S. 101 to northbound 110 connectors for approximately four months beginning in late January. Read More
- Ramp Closure at Olympic Boulevard: On-ramp closed at 710 SB at Olympic Blvd. for long-term bridge construction until 2014. Read More
- Lane Closure: Lane closure at New Dock Street to Henry Ford Blvd. on 47 north and south for bridge work until 2014. Read More
- Ramp Closure at New Dock Street: On-ramp closed at EB/WB New Dock Street on Northbound 47 for bridge demolition until 2014. Read More
- Lane Closure: The north and southbound 215 will be affected by two lane changes and ramp closures between Mccall Boulevard and Scott Road until 2014. Read More
- South Firestone Boulevard: Caltrans will fully close South Firestone Boulevard in both directions from Rosecrans Avenue to just south of Silverbow Avenue through April 2014. Read More
- Alondra Boulevard and Freeway Drive Intersection: The Alondra Boulevard and Freeway Drive intersection will be closed until Friday. Alondra Boulevard Bridge will also be closed until mid/late 2014. Read More
- Corner of Paddison and Zeus avenues: Adoree Street will be fully closed between Kalnor Avenue and the corner of Paddison and Zeus avenues through late February 2014. The corner of Paddison and Zeus avenues will also be fully closed. Read More
- Myrtle Avenue: Myrtle Avenue will be closed just north of Duarte Road near the railroad crossing for approximately four months. Read More
Metro and Metrolink Alerts
- Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus: Due to Expo Line Phase II construction, Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus will temporarily close a number of Route 5 and Route 12 stops until further notice. Read More
Bike Route Alerts
- Coyote Creek Bike Path: Coyote Creek bike paths will be closed from Alondra Boulevard to Artesia Boulevard until May 2015. Read More