Update 11:17 a.m.: Some evacuated Fullerton residents allowed to return to home
Residents in some Fullerton apartment buildings were allowed to return home Sunday after building officials determined the properties were safe. The Fullerton police department posted on its Facebook page that apartments on North Associated Road that had been red tagged Saturday, had been cleared by structural engineers.
RELATED: March earthquakes near La Habra
Three homes on the 2900 block of Juanita Place and several residences on the 1800 block of Avenida del Norte remained evacuated as city inspectors surveyed them for damage from Friday's earthquake.
The Red Cross set up a relief station at the La Habra Community Center at 101 W. La Habra Boulevard to house those who've been displaced.
Update 9:43 a.m.: Orange County cites weigh emergency declaration after quakes
The cities of La Habra, Fullerton and Brea are considering declaring a state of emergency after a swarm of earthquakes rattled the area over the weekend. The most recent, a magnitude 2.7 aftershock, struck the area Sunday morning at 9:05 a.m.
The declaration would allow the cities to be eligible for emergency funds to help pay for damage caused by the quakes.
La Habra Councilman James Gomez spoke with our media partner NBC4.
"Certainly it's a tool that we can use to get reimbursed for some of the emergency personnel we use in La Habra."
Fire officials reported multiple small water main breaks and gas leaks in La Habra. In Fullerton, several dozen people were temporarily displaced because their homes or apartments were red-tagged.
More than a hundred were displaced in all. Most were allowed to return home Saturday, but six residences and 20 apartment units were considered too damaged to remain occupied, the L.A. Times reports. Those homes must be surveyed by building officials before residents can return, Fullerton Fire Department deputy chief Tom Schultz told the paper.
A spokesperson at the Brea police station said Carbon Canyon Road remains closed after a car was toppled a by a rockslide Friday night. The road will remain closed for the next couple of days.
A Southern California Edison spokesman said all power has been restored for customers affected by Friday's earthquake. Saturday afternoon, 57 customers in Buena Park remained without power, 34 in La Habra.
8:14 a.m.: Aftershocks continue to rumble through Southern California
A number of small aftershocks rumbled through Southern California Saturday night and early Sunday, the biggest -- a 3.3 -- striking at 10:51 p.m. near La Habra, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Earlier on Saturday, USGS reported a 4.1-magnitude tremor struck two kilometers southeast of Rowland Heights at 2:32 p.m. Saturday. The Rowland Heights office of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said there were no reports of damage.
More than 100 aftershocks to Friday's 5.1.earthquake have rattled the region. No major damage and no injuries have been reported, but police in the city of Fullerton say 20 apartment units and half a dozen homes were evacuated out of concerns of possible structural damage, displacing 83 people. Some residents have since returned to their homes.
Southern California Edison spokeswoman Maureen Brown tells KPCC that 57 customers in Buena Park remained without power Saturday afternoon due to Friday night's earthquake, along with 34 customers in La Habra. Initially, 2,000 customers lost power because of the quake.
Seismologists still don't know which fault triggered Friday's quake, but Doug Given, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey, said the temblor occurred in an area associated with the Puente Hills Thurst system and the Whittier Fault system.
"An earthquake of this size, it's difficult to assign it to a specific fault zone," Givens said.
Given said there was unlikely any connection between last night's quake and the 4.4 temblor centered in Encino that occurred last week.
"Quite frankly, we've been kind of quiet in earthquake activity in the L.A. area in the last 10 or 15 years," Given said. He continued, saying that this is a reminder to Southern California residents that they live in a place with a lot of earthquakes.
Fullerton Mayor Pro Tem Greg Sebourn tells KPCC he suffered some minor injuries himself in Friday night's quake. He was home with his wife, his two daughters and his son, and while trying to move somewhere safe during the quake, he skinned an elbow and a knee, with his daughter hitting her head on a door jamb.
"I'm feeling a little like James Bond — a little shaken and stirred," Sebourn said.
Sebourn noted that the quakes form a line right through Fullerton, Brea and La Habra.
"When it's a shallow earthquake, and you're right on top of it, wow, that's quite a ride," Sebourn said.
Sebourn said that he knows one homeowner with cuts due to broken glass, but that he wasn't aware of any other injuries.
Carbon Canyon in Brea remained closed Saturday after Friday's quake caused a rock slide there.
"A vehicle that was traveling westbound was overturned," Brea Police Lieutenant Stewart McCarroll told KPCC. "Both subjects that were in the vehicle were able to walk away from the accident with no injuries. They were later picked up by friends."
Nobody else was hurt by the rockslide. Geologists with Caltrans were assessing the area to make sure it's safe before it reopens. Carbon Canyon Regional Park remains open, and the public can access the park on Santa Fe Avenue, according to Brea Police
The Red Cross set up a relief station for those affected by the earthquake, but it was closed by around noon Saturday, with residents returning home, Meredith Mills of the Orange County Red Cross tells KPCC. A total of 38 people spent the night following the quake, either because their home or apartment complex was red tagged or because they didn't feel safe in their homes.
Friday night's quake shook residents throughout Southern California, felt from the Mexican border to the San Joaquin Valley, and sent bottles and cans tumbling off shelves in stores, closed a road and forced a brief shutdown of rides at Disneyland. There were also 12 water main breaks reported, according to the Fullerton Police Department.
The USGS said the temblor struck at 9:09 p.m. Friday and was centered near Brea in Orange County, about 20 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, at a depth of 5 miles.
Tom Connolly, a Boeing employee who lives in La Mirada, said the quake lasted about 30 seconds.
"We felt a really good jolt. It was a long rumble and it just didn't feel like it would end," he told The Associated Press by phone. "Right in the beginning it shook really hard, so it was a little unnerving. People got quiet and started bracing themselves by holding on to each other. It was a little scary."
Even Hall of Fame announcer Vin Scully provided play-by-play of the 5.1 tremor during the sixth inning of Friday night's Dodgers exhibition game against the Angels at Dodger Stadium.
"A little tremor here in the ballpark. I'm not sure if the folks felt it, but we certainly felt it here in press box row," Scully said. "A tremor and only that, thank goodness."
The game continued and the boys in blue ended up beating the Angels 5 to 4. The two teams continue the Freeway Series at Dodger Stadium Saturday at 6:05 p.m.
Public safety officials said crews were inspecting bridges, dams, rail tracks and other infrastructure systems for signs of damage.
Rides were halted at Disneyland in Anaheim, but no damage was found and the theme park was expected to have normal operations Saturday.
At an apartment complex on Associated Road in Fullerton, resident Martha Flores evacuated her apartment after the quake, but had returned by Saturday morning.
“You could hear the building cracking and our furniture was just coming undone,” she said, “It was awful. I felt like the whole building was about to collapse. You had to really grab onto something.”
She said firefighters showed up to inspect the damaged building shortly after the quake. One told Flores she and other residents should evacuate.
“He said, ‘I would recommend you and your family not stay over the night. It doesn’t seem very safe if there was another earthquake.’ So we took precaution and we left,” she said.
By Saturday morning, Flores said, the manager of the complex told her it was safe to return. But several stairwells remained cordoned off with police tape.
Employees at the complex’s leasing office refused to provide information to reporters, saying the company that owns the building would issue a statement on Monday.
Friday's quake hit a week after a pre-dawn magnitude-4.4 quake centered in the San Fernando Valley rattled a swath of Southern California. That jolt shook buildings and rattled nerves but did not cause significant damage.
Southern California has not experienced a devastating earthquake since the 1994 magnitude-6.7 Northridge quake killed several dozen people and caused $25 billion in damage.
Preliminary data suggest Friday night's 5.1 magnitude earthquake occurred near the Puente Hills thrust fault, which stretches from the San Gabriel Valley to downtown Los Angeles and caused the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake, USGS seismologist Lucy Jones said.
"It's a place where we've had a lot of earthquakes in the past," she said.
The 5.9 Whittier Narrows quake killed eight people and caused $360 million in damage.
This story has been updated.