US & World

Fort Hood: Army says shooter's request for leave preceded deadly rampage

Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, commanding general of III Corps and Fort Hood, speaks with the media outside of an entrance to the Fort Hood military base following a shooting that occurred inside, Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in Fort Hood, Texas. Four people were killed, including the gunman, and 16 were wounded in the attack, authorities said.
Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, commanding general of III Corps and Fort Hood, speaks with the media outside of an entrance to the Fort Hood military base following a shooting that occurred inside, Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in Fort Hood, Texas. Four people were killed, including the gunman, and 16 were wounded in the attack, authorities said.
Tamir Kalifa/AP

Investigators say the rampage that left three dead and 16 wounded last week at Fort Hood was related to the shooter's request for leave from the Army post.

Army spokesman Chris Grey did not indicate during a brief news conference Monday whether Spc. Ivan Lopez was granted the leave.

Grey says the shooting spree Wednesday covered the equivalent of two city blocks as Lopez drove from one area to another on the Central Texas base randomly firing at soldiers.

Authorities have said the shooting was preceded by a verbal altercation Lopez had with other soldiers in his unit.

RELATED: Fort Hood Shooting: Gunman kills 3, wounds 16 at army base