Firefighters were battling a fire on Monday that destroyed at least one home near a shopping center in San Jose.
Multiple news outlets reported that at least two suburban homes were on fire about three blocks from Westgate Shopping Center. No information was available on possible injuries or the cause of the blaze.
Crews first arrived at the fire just before 3 p.m.
Firefighters say one home had been destroyed and two others were damaged, KNTV-TV reported. The station said 12 people had been evacuated.
PG&E spokesman Greg Snapper said the fire also damaged a gas meter, causing a gas leak. He said it appeared that the cause of the fire was unrelated to PG&E equipment.
"Often times the heat from fire can damage utility equipment - that appears to be the case here." Snapper said.