The California Highway Patrol, Los Angeles Police Department, California Department of Transportation, and Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority are warning motorists to avoid the northbound 101 freeway within the downtown Los Angeles region Tuesday due to a funeral for a fallen officer.
Veteran motorcycle officer Chris Cortijo was struck by an SUV in Sun Valley earlier this month while waiting at a red light at Lankershim Boulevard and Saticoy Street.
The following closures and detours will take place for motorists from 10:30 a.m. to noon Tuesday in anticipation of a significant number of attendees for the funeral services and subsequent procession to the interment location for Cortijo:
- 101 northbound freeway access will be closed for motorists between the 110 freeway and Barham Boulevard
- 110 northbound and southbound transition lanes to the 101 northbound lanes will be closed to motorists
- Motorists traveling northbound on the 101 freeway, approaching the 110 freeway, will be diverted onto the north or south transition lanes of the 110.
- Numerous city streets, surrounding the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels, at 555 W. Temple Street, will also be closed off to motorists earlier in the morning.
Alternatives for motorists include:
- CHP advises motorists to plan ahead by leaving early for your destination if you must travel to the downtown Los Angeles Area, or avoid the area altogether.
- Caltrans District 7 Director Carrie Bowen reminds motorists to “consider adding 30 minutes or more to their commutes into downtown Los Angeles and to use public transit." Metro.net's Metro Trip Planner can aid in coordinating a transit trip.
- Motorists with transponders on their vehicles are encouraged to use Express lanes on the 110 freeway in efforts to shorten vehicle travel times.
- Motorists can monitor downtown traffic conditions in real-time by visiting Go511.com and basing their route choices on current traffic conditions.
Questions on freeway closures may be directed to CHP Southern Division PIO Unit, at 818-240-8200; Questions regarding street closures should be directed to LAPD or the Los Angeles Department of Transportation.