San Diego Fire Update: Firefighters expect to have large Cocos Fire contained Thursday

84833 full
84833 full

Update 7:04 p.m.: Firefighters expect to have Cocos Fire contained Thursday

Authorities say they expect the most destructive of Southern California's recent wildfires to be fully contained by Thursday.

The blaze in northern San Diego County is about 90 percent surrounded Monday.

Check KPCC's Firetracker for updates on the San Diego fires

State fire Battalion Chief Nick Schuler says crews are busy checking for hotspots.

The fire erupted Wednesday in San Marcos and destroyed 36 homes and a business. It's one of about a dozen wildfires in the northern county that exploded through populated brushlands during days of hot and windy weather.

All together, the fires burned 44 houses, an 18-unit apartment building and two businesses.

Most have been contained.

The first blaze started Tuesday and was caused by a spark from construction equipment.

Schuler says the causes of the other fires remain under investigation.

— Associated Press

2:11 p.m.: Cooler weather helps crews gain on 4 fires still burning in San Diego

Firefighters say they've turned the corner on the remaining four large brushfires that caused evacuations and closed roads for the region late last week. 

Two fires burning at Camp Pendleton military base are now all over 50 percent contained and another, the Tomahawk Fire burning at the western edge of the base, has been completely surrounded.

Christopher Duncan, a spokesman for the base, said the fires continue to burn, but evacuations for all areas have been lifted, and operations have at the base have mostly returned to normal, with most staff members returning to work Monday. He said Calfire has taken the lead in firefighting operations there. 

Fire Tracker: San Mateo Fire

FireTracker: Pulgas Fire

FireTracker: Tomahawk Fire

Meanwhile, Calfire Captain Kendal Bortisser said cooler and calmer wind conditions have allowed firefighters gain on the Cocos Fire, which has burned nearly 2,000 acres since it erupted Wednesday. 

As of Monday morning, crews had 89 percent of the perimeter contained. Bortisser said crews will continue to work around the clock to get the entire area under control. Most evacuations for residents had been lifted by Monday morning. 

blog comments powered by Disqus