Time Warner rejected takeover bid from Murdoch's 21st Century Fox

33927 full
33927 full

Time Warner has rejected a takeover bid from Twenty-First Century Fox and says it has no interest in further discussions with Rupert Murdoch's media entertainment giant.

The New York company said Wednesday that Twenty-First Century Fox Inc. offered last month a combination of its stock and $32.42 in cash for each Time Warner share.

Time Warner's board rejected the bid after consulting with financial and legal advisers and determining that its strategic plan "will create significantly more value for the (company) and its stockholders and is superior to any proposal that Twenty-First Century Fox is in a position to offer," the company said.

Time Warner also said a combination with Twenty-First Century Fox carried considerable strategic, operational and regulatory risks. It also saw risk and uncertainty in the valuation of Twenty-First Century Fox's non-voting stock and that company's ability to handle a combination of this size and scale.

The New York Times reported that the bid totaled $80 billion.

Twenty-First Century Fox confirmed in a short, separate statement that Time Warner had rejected its bid, but it did not provide any details. It added that it is not currently in discussions with Time Warner.

Time Warner's holdings include the cable movie channel HBO and Warner Bros. studios. The company said Wednesday its management team has completed several deals that have unlocked value in related businesses.

It spun off Time Warner Cable into a separate company in 2009. Last month, it completed the spin of its publishing division Time Inc. as well.

Shares of Time Warner jumped 16 percent, or $11.49 to $82.50 shortly before markets opened Wednesday while Twenty-First Century Fox climbed 6 cents to $35.25.

blog comments powered by Disqus