Nixon Library visitors reflect on resignation's 40th anniversary; new tapes released

The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
Keystone/Getty Images
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
Lots of people pose at the helicopter as Nixon did when he said good bye to the country and left Washington. The helicopter is at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda.
Shirley Jahad/KPCC
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
Elvis and Nixon-endorsed merch at the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda on Friday, Aug. 8, 2014.
Shirley Jahad/KPCC
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
Nixon and his wife Pat are buried here at his presidential library.
Shirley Jahad/KPCC
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
A family visits the Nixon Library on the 40th anniversary of his resignation.
Shirley Jahad/KPCC
The 37th President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on a television screen.
The Nixon Library in Yorba Linda on Friday, Aug. 8, 2014.
Shirley Jahad/KPCC

President Richard Nixon resigned from office 40 years ago this weekend. Lots of people visiting the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda on Friday shared their remembrances.
Some longtime Orange County residents can remember the Nixons as neighbors. Robin Halus recalls growing up in San Clemente and seeing Pat Nixon at the beauty parlor getting her hair done. She also remembers Nixon's return to Southern California right after he resigned from office.

"My parents took me out of school," she said. "I was in fifth grade the day we went to the El Toro Marine Base. We went with the crowds to greet the Nixons when they came back to San Clemente."
Thousands of people turned out on Aug. 9, 1974 to see the Nixons on that fateful return. Looking back at his legacy 40 years later, Halus says it's complicated.

"Very complicated. Obviously there were some indiscretions. But probably not a lot different than what goes on a lot of times," she said. "Maybe it's not what was done but how he handled it afterwards."
Howard Farrell, 51, visited the Nixon Library from South Carolina. He says he has vivid memories of sitting with his grandmother and watching Nixon announce his resignation on national television the evening of Aug. 8, 1974.

"My grandmother was not a fan nor was my mother or any of my siblings," he said. "Interestingly my grandmother was a Republican, and because of Nixon I think she turned into a Democrat."
He says Nixon's fall from the biggest office in the land may offer not only some big political lessons, but also some basic ones for children.

"We tell our kids this you can make a mistake," he said "But if you don't tell the truth, if you go to great lengths to hide the mistake, it gets worse. The more you stir it the worse it smells."
Mike Goritz visited the Nixon Library from Redlands. Despite all the other scandal-gates that have happened in the decades since Watergate, he says the break-in and coverup was an offense big enough for a president to step down.

"Oh yeah, absolutely the president should resign over that," he said. "The coverup and everything, you don't expect a president to act like that."
Goritz also said that, for better or worse, Watergate and the Nixon resignation brought the end to unconditional trust of the office.

"I think it opened up a whole era of not trusting the presidency.  Let's question everything he does," Goritz said. "It also slowly meant the loss of respect for the presidency. People started losing respect for the office of president, whereas before the president was almost untouchable."

Shirley Jahad/KPCC

Previously: Nixon tapes released on resignation's anniversary

The Nixon Library has newly released videos of interviews Nixon did nearly 10 years after leaving office, reflecting back on the days leading up to his resignation with his one-time aide.

For three decades, that version of one of the nation's largest and most-dissected political scandals largely gathered dust — until this week.

Starting Tuesday, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Nixon's resignation, the Nixon Presidential Library & Museum and the private Richard Nixon Foundation began publishing portions of the tapes each day. The postings began with Nixon recalling the day he decided to resign and end Saturday — his last day in office — with the 37th president discussing his final day at the White House, when he signed the resignation agreement, gave a short speech and boarded a helicopter for San Clemente, California.

The first video is below:


The segments were culled from more than 30 hours of interviews that Nixon did with former aide Frank Gannon in 1983. The sections on Watergate aired publicly once, on CBS News, before gathering dust at the University of Georgia for more than 30 years.

"This is as close to what anybody is going to experience sitting down and having a beer with Nixon, sitting down with him in his living room," said Gannon, now a writer and historian in Washington, D.C.

"Like him or not, whether you think that his resignation was a tragedy for the nation or that he got out of town one step ahead of the sheriff, he was a human being," he said.

Watergate quiz: How much do you know about the '-gate' that brought down a presidency?

Nixon, who died in 1994, had hoped that providing his own narrative would help temper America's final judgment of him.

Perhaps with that in mind, he didn't shy away from the tough questions, commenting on everything from the threat of impeachment to the so-called "smoking gun" conversation that included evidence he participated in a Watergate cover-up.

"This was the final blow, the final nail in the coffin. Although you don't need another nail if you're already in the coffin — which we were," Nixon said in a segment about the June 23, 1972 tape.

Nixon said when he decided to resign, he faced such strong resistance from his wife that he brought a transcript of the "smoking gun" tape to a family meeting to show her how bad it was.


"I'm a fighter, I just didn't want to quit. Also I thought it would be an admission of guilt, which of course it was," he said. "And, also, I felt it would set a terribly bad precedent for the future."

The tone of the tapes contrasts with the sometimes adversarial tone of the well-known series of Nixon interviews done in 1977 by British journalist David Frost. Nixon appears relaxed in the tapes. He smiles occasionally, speaks fondly about his two daughters and wife and seems emotional while recalling the final days of his fraught administration, as pressure mounted for his impeachment over a 1972 break-in at Democratic headquarters by burglars tied to the president's re-election committee who were trying to get dirt on his political adversaries.

The decision to release these friendly interviews now, years after the fact, might not be a coincidence, said Luke Nichter, aNixon expert and professor at Texas A&M University. With the passage of time, he said, every former president sees their legacy re-examined and recast, and Nixon may be no different.


"Watergate's never going to go away," Nichter said. "Nixon's role in that and the cover-up is so well-documented. But I think what we're trying to say here, 40 years later, is Nixon doesn't have to be all bad or all good. He can be a combination of the good, bad and ugly."

Nixon denied knowing about plans for the break-in beforehand, but an 18 1/2 minute gap in a recording of a post-Watergate White House meeting led many to suspect a cover-up.

Faced with impeachment and a possible criminal indictment, Nixon resigned on Aug. 9, 1974, and retreated to his native California. The following month he was granted a pardon by President Gerald Ford.

Here he is talking about his final day as president:


In the final segment to be released Saturday, Nixon recalls his last day at the White House.

After a fitful night, he awoke at 4 a.m. and went to the kitchen where he was surprised to find a kitchen staffer already there.

The staffer told Nixon it was 6 a.m., not two hours earlier — the president's watch had stopped overnight.

"The battery had run out, wore out at 4 o'clock the last day I was in office," Nixon said ruefully. "By that day, I was worn out too."

AP with KPCC

KPCC's Crawford Family Forum hosted an evening with former White House counsel John Dean. You can watch the archived video here

This story has been updated and was originally published on Aug. 5.