Donald Sterling loses appeal to block LA Clippers sale

Donald Sterling, the former owner of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers.
Donald Sterling, the former owner of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers. Mark J. Terrill/AP

A California appeals court has shot down Donald Sterling's latest effort to block the $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

The 2nd Appellate District Court issued a brief ruling Wednesday saying there was nothing it could do because the team had been sold.

Ballmer closed the deal Tuesday after a probate court judge cleared the way for Sterling's estranged wife to sell the team.

The judge said Shelly Sterling had properly removed her husband from the family trust that owned the team after he was banned from the NBA for making derogatory remarks about blacks.

Ballmer's lawyer says Clippers nation rejoices with the latest blow to the unpopular former owner, who bought the team in 1981 for $12 million.

blog comments powered by Disqus