All evacuations were called off Sunday for homes in the hills northwest of Los Angeles after a day of major progress on a wildfire.
The fire near the wealthy and semi-rural enclave of Calabasas was 80 percent contained early Sunday evening — up from 30 percent at daybreak.
Most evacuations, including all of those called for in Calabasas, had already been canceled.
“We are currently assessing structure damages, that hasn’t changed as of now," L.A. County firefighter paramedic Gustavo Medina told KPCC.
One commercial building was destroyed, and one residential home was damaged due to fire retardant, Medina said.
"I was able to see a lot of residents that were relieved, and were very grateful and happy that we were there with our presence,” he said.
Los Angeles County fire officials said at a briefing that evacuees from nearby Topanga would be allowed to return starting at 6 p.m.
Sheriff's officials said an estimated 3,000 homes were threatened and about 5,000 residents were evacuated at the fire's height Saturday.
"We had a great effort and great communication with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department who were actually in charge of going and knocking door-to-door and advising the residents of mandatory evacuations, or voluntary evacuations in some areas," Medina said.
Temperatures on Sunday hovered in the mid-80s — down from more than 100 degrees a day earlier.
This story has been updated.