A panicked 911 caller immediately identified a teacher's husband as the man who opened fire at a San Bernardino elementary school and told the dispatcher that she had locked herself in the office.
Police on Friday released portions of the emergency calls from the shooting this week that killed a special-education teacher and her student. In one of the short tapes, a caller says a teacher had been shot by her husband and describes his clothing.
"I'm scared," the caller says before the tape cuts out.
Cedric Anderson walked into his estranged wife's classroom at North Park Elementary on Monday and fired 10 rounds from a .357 Magnum before turning the gun on himself, authorities said.
He targeted Karen Smith but also struck two of her students: 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez, who died, and a 9-year-old boy who was expected to recover.
Anderson had accused Smith of infidelity just weeks into their marriage, prompting her to move out of their home, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said. Police have said there was no evidence of unfaithfulness.
When Anderson failed to win her back, he killed her, Burguan said.
Smith told family members that Anderson had threatened her after she moved out last month, but she didn't take him seriously and thought he was just seeking attention, the police chief said.
Boy wounded in school shooting out of hospital
The young victim, Martinez, had previously survived heart surgery and had Williams syndrome, a rare genetic disorder characterized by learning delays, mild-to-moderate intellectual disabilities and heart problems.
School officials said he was a happy child who loved music and playing with friends.
The wounded boy, Nolan Brandy, was "recovering better than we expected," his parents said in an CNN interview Friday.
"He's in really good spirits, he's upbeat," father Leon Brandy said.
The boy was shot in the torso, but the bullet missed all of his vital organs, said Maria Garcia, a San Bernardino schools spokeswoman. He was released from the hospital Friday.
A San Bernardino school spokeswoman says he will continue recovering at home.
Police were still interviewing witnesses in their investigation, a police spokesman said. The school is expected to reopen Monday.
North Park installs new security
On Friday, the San Bernardino Unified School District's Maria Garcia told KPCC the school would begin a new procedure for visitors starting Monday. Only adults that have gone through a fingerprint and background check process will be allowed beyond the front desk.
Any parent or volunteer that wishes to check out a child early will also be vetted at the door, she said. The entrance to the North Park Elementary School front desk will be permanently locked. Visitors will now be screened by a secretary through a window before being buzzed inside.
"North Park is not going to become a fortress," Garcia said. "It remains a public school, but given what has happened this week, we are listening to what parents are asking us to put in place."
The school district is also asking teachers, students and parents to wear red on Monday in solidarity with North Park's school color.