The five Inglewood police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a mother and father last year are no longer with the department, according to a statement released Tuesday by Mayor James Butts.
The statement did not say whether they were fired or left of their own accord, nor did it name the officers. Under state law, police discipline records are confidential.
Here is the statement:
"On Friday, May 28, the Inglewood Police Department completed all processes involved in the administrative review of the February 21, 2016 officer-involved-shooting involving Kisha Michael and Marquintan Sandlin. The officers involved in the incident are no longer members of the Inglewood Police Department."
Previously, the officers involved in the shooting were identified as Michael Jaen, Richard Parcella, Jason Cantrell, Sean Reidy and Andrew Cohen. Four had two years or less with the department, and one had five years, according to Butts.
The shooting of Michael, 31, and Sandlin, 32, sparked angry protests and left questions that remain unanswered.
Police never said why they opened fire on the two, who initially were found sitting unconscious in a Chevy Malibu on Manchester Boulevard at 3 a.m. Michael had a gun in her lap, but police never said whether she or Sandlin presented a threat to officers.
An autopsy report said Michael was hit 13 times and Sandlin twice with shotgun and assault rifle fire. Michael was a mother of three boys. Sandlin was a father of four boys.
In his statement, Butts said the results of the police department's internal investigation are confidential.
The district attorney has yet to determine whether the officers acted criminally when they killed the two.