If you’ve ever wanted whoop, holler or cheer at the library, your chance is here. A free music series will turn these havens of solemn silence into festive, unlikely concert venues.
From Americana and rock to Caribbean and soul, some 21 concerts will be offered at Los Angeles County libraries.
It’s been put together in collaboration with Arts Commission and sponsorship by the county’s Board of Supervisors. The goal is to present accessible, quality music around the county, according to a statement.
“Featuring free concerts at our libraries furthers our efforts to eliminate barriers to access, by bringing concerts directly to library customers who might not otherwise have the opportunity to experience these performances,” said LA County Library Director Skye Patrick in a press release.
A diverse slate of artists from the commission's artists roster will perform at the shows, representing a wide variety of musical genres.
“Hosting concerts at our libraries also helps to expand the definition of the library—more than just a place to research and read, it can also be a gathering place, and an event hub,” said Patrick. “We hope events like these help our customers feel connected to their community, and reveal the variety of services and events LA County Library has to offer.”
The following concerts are scheduled (here's the official list):
- July 22: Jason Arimoto at San Gabriel Library
- July 22: Wildwood Highway at South Whittier Library
- August 5: Upstream at El Monte Library
- August 9: Nichelle Monroe with Butterfly at La Verne Library
- August 12: Susie Hansen Latin Band at Carson Library
- August 19: Carol Bach y Rita at La Crescenta Library
- August 19: Cuicani at Temple City Library
- August 22: De'Anza at El Camino Library
- September 9: Carol Bach y Rita at Avalon Library
- September 9: Finger Dancers at Norwalk Library
- September 9: Aaron & Jane Music at Walnut Library
- September 16: City of Angels Saxophone Quartet at Agoura Hills Library
- September 16: Mariachi Espectacular at Lennox Library
- September 20: Nancy Sanchez at City Terrace Library
- September 23: Quattrosound at Culver City Julian Dixon Library
- September 23: Nancy Sanchez at Quartz Hill Library
- September 23: INCA, the Peruvian Ensemble at Rosemead Library
- September 27: De'Anza at Sorensen Library
- October 7: Upstream at East Rancho Dominguez Library
- October 14: El Haru Kuroi at West Covina Library
- October 25: Lucky Diaz and The Family Jam Band at Malibu Library.