We are no longer updating this post. Please head to KPBS for further updates on this story.
Driven by Santa Ana winds, a brush fire ignited Thursday morning off of Interstate 15 and State Route 76 in the Bonsall-Fallbrook area, burning at least 4,100 acres, destroying five structures and damaging at least a dozen more, according to fire officials.
California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency for San Diego County Thursday evening, saying in a statement: “The fire is very dangerous and spreading rapidly, but we’ll continue to attack it with all we’ve got. It’s crucial residents stay ready and evacuate immediately if told to do so.”
Officials say two people have been hospitalized for injuries related to the fire.
Sheriff Bill Gore said during a county press conference that residents who feel unsafe should not wait for an official evacuation order but to instead leave on their own.
Mandatory evacuations were ordered by North County Fire for everything west of U.S. Route 395 to Sullivan Middle School. Evacuations have also been issued for Bonsall High School, the Rancho Monserate County Club and Sullivan Middle School.
Temporary evacuation centers have been established for students and residents in the area at Fallbrook High School, Pachanga Casino and Pala Casino. The Del Mar Fair Ground is open to accept animal evacuations.
In addition, U.S. Route 395 has been closed between West Lilac Road and SR-76 with SR-76 closed in both directions.
Helen Gao, San Diego Gas & Electric spokeswoman, said people in areas with outagesshould expect to be without power for "several days."
"We expect that they will be out for several days so we’re asking that they be prepared with flashlights, batteries, and a radio so they can stay informed," she said.
SDG&E's website says power is expected to be restored as early as Saturday in some areas and Monday in others where it was turned off for safety.
A second fire was confirmed at San Luis Rey Track & Training Center.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
- South of Reche Road
- North of Burma Road
- East of Camp Pendleton Eastern Fence Line
- West of Green Canyon Road
- West of East Vista Way
- East of Melrose and North Santa Fe
- North of Bobier Drive
- South of North River Road
- East of Douglas Drive
- West of Wilshire Road
- North of North River Road
- South of Camp Pendleton Eastern Fence Line
- East of Old Grove Road and Douglas Drive
- West of Melrose and North Santa Fe
- North of Oceanside Boulevard
- South of North River Road
- East Valley Community Center, 2245 E Valley Parkway, Escondido (pet friendly)
- Stagecoach Community Park, 3420 Camino De Los Coches, Carlsbad
- Bostonia Park and Recreation Center, 1049 Bostonia Street, El Cajon
- East Valley Community Center, 2245 East Valley Parkway, Escondido
- Oceanside High School, 1 Pirates Cove Way, Oceanside
This story has been updated.