Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images
A selection of cocktails.
London has the Pimm's Cup, New Orleans has the Sazerac, New York City has the Manhattan. Plenty of cities around the world proudly boast signature cocktails, but what about Los Angeles?
Sure there is no shortage of fabulous libations to be found throughout the city, but what drink really says I love LA? The California Artisanal Distiller's Guild thinks it's high time for the city of Angels to have a drink of its own.
They've partnered up with the local Greenbar Distillery to sponsor a search for L.A.'s signature cocktail. For more on this, we're joined by Litty Matthews is one of Greenbar's founders.
- Principal spirits must be vodka, gin, rum, whiskey or brandy and comprise more than half of all alcohol in the cocktail
- Secondary spirits can be any distilled spirit, liqueur or bitters and must comprise less than half of all alcohol in the cocktail
- All principal spirits must be made in LA county (qualifying distilleries: Greenbar ¦ greenbar.biz)
- Secondary spirits must be made in California (qualifying distilleries: members of the California Artisanal Distillers Guild ¦ cadsp.org)
- All fresh ingredients must be grown in California
- Drink must have 5 or fewer ingredients
- Drink must have a maximum of 2 oz alcohol, including spirits and liqueurs
- Drink must have at least 1 fresh ingredient other than citrus
- Recipe submission deadline is April 30, 2014 11:59 p.m.
More information about The Search for LA’s Signature cocktail and how to submit recipes is available at LAsCocktail.com. Spread the word on social media and share your thoughts using the hashtag#LAdrinksearch. And listen to our interview about the contest with the audio attached on the left.