The San Diego Chargers lost their ninth game of the season Sunday, which means they'll finish in last place in their division. For most NFL teams, figuring out how to get better would be at the top of their off-season agenda, but the Chargers have bigger fish to fry.
They have less than a month to decide whether to leave the city they've called home for 55 years and join the Rams in Los Angeles, and according to Dean Spanos, the owner of the San Diego Chargers, the wind seems to be blowing north.
"The owner...said he was done with San Diego and that he was going to Los Angeles last year at this time," said Kevin Acee, a columnist with the San Diego Union-Tribune. He spoke with A Martinez for a conversation on the topic.
"The reason it seems so pending now is he has that option from Stan Kroenke, from the NFL, to go to Los Angeles if he choses. Now, the NFL has very little interest in the chargers being in Los Angeles right now and that is still the only hope that San Diego has at this point because we've got nothing going on here in terms of being able to help the Spanos family finance the stadium."
According to Acee, the Spanos family says they need $550 million dollars in public funds to help build a new stadium. The fact is that San Diegans don't want to do that. They rejected Measure C this November, a hotel tax increase proposed by the Chargers. That money would've gone towards the building of a stadium and convention center in downtown.
Now, Spanos is hinting that it's time to leave.