US & World

Russia begins conducting airstrikes in Syria, after Assad's request

The U.S. military says a Russian official informed the U.S. embassy in Baghdad about the missions; Syria says it invited Russia's air force to help fight terrorism.

Edward Snowden joins Twitter, follows the NSA

The former NSA contractor's first tweet was, "Can you hear me now?" Snowden is still in Russia, after leaking a large cache of highly classified material.

Journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates among 2015 MacArthur 'genius' award winners

Representing fields from chemistry to poetry, the 24 MacArthur Foundation Fellows will each receive $500,000 over the next five years.

UN General Assembly: Putin urges broad anti-terror coalition

Addressing the U.N. General Assembly, Putin said it was a "huge mistake" not to engage the Syrian army in the fight against the Islamic State group.

Pope Francis wraps up US visit with huge open-air Mass

The Benjamin Franklin Parkway overflowed with people who stood in line for hours to see history's first pope from the Americas celebrate an open-air Mass.

Nearly burned off map, Northern California town fights back

The unincorporated hamlet in Calaveras County bore the brunt of a destructive wildfire and now faces its greatest test — recovering from the ravenous blaze.

Hundreds mark anniversary of farmworkers' labor movement

On Sept. 8, 1965, grape pickers walked out to protest years of substandard pay and poor working conditions. The protest was led by Cesar Chavez and eventually sparked the creation of United Farm Workers.

Obama, Castro to meet at UN next week

The two leaders will have their second, informal, face-to-face meeting since April at the General Assembly meeting in New York.

Pope: 'God weeps' for victims of sex abuse

Francis also told bishops at a morning meeting that he believed the decision to legalize gay marriage in the US was "a tragic error."

Iraq says it will share anti-ISIS intelligence with Iran, Russia

The announcement from Baghdad came as France said it had conducted its first airstrikes against the Islamic State group.

UC Davis treats dozens of pets badly burned in 2 wildfires

The animals, which range from cats to horses, will be returned to their owners or placed for adoption once they recover.

San Diego Gas and Electric wants 90-10 split on 2007 fire costs

In filings with state regulators, SDG&E said customers would pay 90 percent of the costs while stockholders in the utility would pay the remaining 10 percent — about $42 million.

Death toll in hajj stampede rises to 769

Saudi Arabia announced the new figure, up from 717 on Friday. Meanwhile, Iran has said the tragedy is "not incompetence ... [but] a crime" due to lax security during the pilgrimage.

China pledges billions in development aid

President Xi Jinping, speaking at a United Nations conference in New York, says Beijing hopes to increase its share to a total of $12 billion by 2030.

Pope in Philadelphia on final leg of US visit

Francis celebrated Mass and was expected to speak at Independence Hall. He was also to attend the World Meeting of Families.

Swiss police open criminal case against FIFA head Blatter

The 79-year-old Sepp Blatter is set to step down in February as a result of widespread corruption probes, but the opening of formal proceedings against him could lead the FIFA ethics committee to provisionally suspend him from duty.