The collection of maps below, put together by Esri, looks at the locations of the eternal resting places of a number of luminaries, including many buried right here in Southern California. It takes you on a tour of these cemeteries with famed residents, just in time for Halloween.
Those whose remains remain local:
- Michael Jackson (Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale)
- Marilyn Monroe (Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery, Los Angeles)
- Frank Sinatra (Desert Memorial Park, Cathedral City)
- Marlon Brando (Death Valley and Tahiti)
- Gangster Bugsy Siegel (Hollywood Forever Cemetery)
- Vincent Price (Point Dume, Malibu)
- Bela Lugosi, "Dracula" (Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City)
- "Psycho" star Anthony Perkins, who played Norman Bates (His former Hollywood Hills home)
- "Psycho" star Janet Leigh (Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles)
- "Psycho" author Robert Bloch (Westwood Village Memorial Park, Los Angeles)
- Peter Lorre (Hollywood Forever Cemetery)
- Heather O'Rourke, "Poltergeist" (Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles)
Some who come close to being buried here but not quite — famed horror director Alfred Hitchcock and singer Janis Joplin both had their cremated remains scattered into the Pacific Ocean. Something to think about next time you're looking out from a SoCal beach.
See the dearly departed's final resting places and read more about them below: