The Latest | Southern California breaking news and trends

Power knocked out, but no serious injuries after plane crashes in Glendale front yard

The wreck of a crashed Cessna 210 is seen in front of a home in Glendale on Monday, May 21, 2012.
The wreck of a crashed Cessna 210 is seen in front of a home in Glendale on Monday, May 21, 2012.
Image courtesy NBC

The pilot is OK, and no one was hurt on the ground, after a small single-engine airplane crash-landed in a Glendale home’s front yard Monday night.

The Cessna 210 came down at about 8:30 p.m. last night, tearing through trees and power lines before landing upside-down on the 1200 block of Glenwood Road, according to fire officials and several news sources.

KTLA says the plane took out three power poles as it came down, knocking out power to at least 2,000 nearby homes. KNBC says about 300 homes were still without power this morning.

Today the wrecked Cessna was hauled away, while investigators from the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board tried to figure out what went wrong.

According to reports, the pilot -- identified by ABC as Jim Roth, an engineer from Thousand Oaks -- was flying solo to Van Nuys from Phoenix when he experienced a mechanical problem over El Monte. He reported the problem and was diverted to Burbank Airport for an emergency landing -- but didn’t quite make it.

Amazingly, after the crash the 55-year-old Roth was able to pull himself from the wreckage, and spoke to emergency crews of an injured shoulder. He was treated at USC Medical Center and released.

LAPD Sgt. Tom Lorenz told KNBC how lucky it was that no one was seriously hurt in the crash: “It was very nice evening. People were out walking their dogs, they’re exercising -- and when he comes down he hits three power poles and a tree and lands in front of a house, but he does not cause any damage to any cars, no structural damage to any houses.”

(Apparently it helped that a lot of people were inside watching the Lakers game.)

Glenwood Avenue remains closed to cars today between Grandview and Highland while workers continue to clean up the wreckage and fix the downed power lines. Crews hoped to have power fully restored by 2 p.m. today, KTLA reports.