The Latest | Southern California breaking news and trends
Crime & Justice

SWAT standoff: Barricaded parolee shoots at parents, car, deputies

Handgun recovered at the scene of an 8-hour standoff on Saturday, June 23, 2012.
Handgun recovered at the scene of an 8-hour standoff on Saturday, June 23, 2012.
Photo: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department

An eight hour standoff between sheriff's deputies and an armed, barricaded parolee ended with an arrest and a trip to the hospital for the suspect who suffered non-life threatening injuries.

On Saturday a man and woman went to the Carson Sheriff's Station and told deputies their 31-year-old son had shot at them, at their car, and had locked himself in the house, LASD said in a release. The father suffered minor injuries to his foot. 

Deputies arriving at the 40 block of South Camelback in Carson asked the suspect to step outside, but he refused. Additional patrol deputies were called and soon after LASD Special Enforcement Bureau SWAT deputies and a K-9 and handler arrived to the scene.

Gunfire was heard periodically from inside the location and deputies took cover. Fragmented stucco was seen coming out of the exterior walls. No deputies were hit by gunfire during the standoff, and no deputies shot their firearms. 

Tear gas, however, was fired into the home three times after repeated attempts to convince the suspect to surrender had failed.

When the suspect still did not surrender, a team entered the home. The suspect was located by the sheriff's K-9 at around 8 p.m. and a handgun was recovered from the scene. 

The suspect was taken to the hospital via ambulance for a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his upper body and treatment of K-9 bites. He faces multiple criminal charges including felony Assault with a Deadly Weapon on his parents, and Assault with a Deadly Weapon on the offficers.

He is being held without bail for a parole violation and the criminal investigation is being handled by Carson Sheriff's Station investigators.