Activity has been suspended on a proposed ballot initiative that would have taxed admission to over 2,500 attendees of Coachella and Stagecoach, and sent future golden voices fleeing the fests of Indio. Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett said 2013 would be the last year for the music festivals in Indio if the ticket tax measure made it onto the ballot.
The Desert Sun published a statement by Indio City Councilman Sam Torres on Thursday that the now halted effort was "based on the desire to help bridge the gap in revenues that Indio, like cities across the state, have experienced due to the economic recession."
Said Torres in a city statement, "the potential for the music festivals to move out of the city exists, and if this should occur it would negatively impact the region; I cannot in good conscience allow this to happen no matter how dire the city’s circumstances...My sincere hope is that we can now move past this episode and I personally look forward to working to enhance relationships."
Indio Mayor Glenn Miller said in a statement that the city is "committed to working with Goldenvoice to identify mutually beneficial solutions to ensure that the music festival economic engine stays in Indio and continues to boost the regional economy." He applauded Torres' decision, and thanked him for putting "the city's long term prosperity first."