Intruder breaks into Valley home of LA Councilman Alarcon for 2nd time

Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarcon said today the District Attorney's Office should have notified him that the intruder accused of breaking into his home last night and last October was released from a mental institution.

Alarcon said the man returned to his Panorama City house last night, causing damage.

Alarcon said he knew the charges against the man had been dismissed because he was believed unfit to stand trial.

However, Alarcon assumed that the man was still in a mental institution because nobody told him otherwise.

Asked whether the District Attorney's Office was legally obligated to tell him about the man's release, Alarcon responded, "I don't think so but it seems to me they should have.''

John Nantroup, head deputy in the District Attorney's Office San Fernando branch office, said he did not know that the man had been released.

"(The man) was in the care of medical professionals, being evaluated,'' Nantroup said. "They may or may not release him depending on how disabled he is -- that was the medical professionals call.''

Nantroup expressed regret that the District Attorney's Office did not inform Alarcon about the dismissal. Alarcon apparently learned about it from other sources.

Alarcon said he is installing an alarm system to protect his wife and daughters, ages 2 and 11.

"I absolutely believe that if (the man is) released again, he'll come back,'' Alarcon said. "I'm going to do everything I can to make sure he's not released.''

Alarcon said he was surprised the charges connected to the first break-in last October were dropped, claiming the man had a long rap sheet for burglary. Nantroup declined to comment.

Last night, the man apparently entered the house through a window and stayed for less than two hours before being discovered, Alarcon said.

Alarcon said the man had nailed curtains and picture frames against the windows when Alarcon and his family arrived home and found him trying to block them from entering their front door.

The District Attorney's Office began an investigation into Alarcon months after the first break-in, after neighbors said they did not see him in that house anymore.

Alarcon admitted he and his wife were temporarily staying at another house in Councilman Paul Krekorian's district.

Council members are required to live in the districts they represent, and individuals who register to vote using an address where they do not reside can be charged with voter fraud.